Old Ale: 100% Brett L or Ringwood Ale + Brett L?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmhart

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing up the 11-11-11 Gun Stock Old Ale. Wyeast Old Ale Blend wasn't available, so I ad-libed and picked up some Ringwood Ale and some Brett L.

I made a decent starter of each, so there is plenty to go around.

I'm planning on splitting the bach, and doing 100% Ringwood in one, and then I was planning on doing Ringwood and Brett L in the other.

Anybody have any thoughts one way or another regarding doing the second half 100% Brett L or sticking to my plan for a mix?

I'd just like to hear other people's thoughts.

It's probably too late, but I've been researching the same thing. I think you're best bet would be to go with brett. C. if you're going traditional. It's on the milder end of the brett. funk scale. If you innoculate from the beginning, I think you may end up with overattenuated beer, which would be out of style for an old ale. What I think I would do, and I'm currently planning on it with an old ale I have in primary right now, is to separately condition 1 gallon of it in secondary with brett. c. and let that ferment out. Let the other 4 gallons age as is, in parallel. Come bottling/kegging time, pasteurize the brett. c. infected portion, and blend it back in to taste, and continue as normal. Alternatively, I may just keep that infected portion for some other future batch instead, who knows. But I think blending is the way to go so you can avoid overdoing it or overattentuating it.

I brewed this up on Labor Day.

One half was 100% Ringwood Ale.

The other half was 50/50 Ringwood/Brett L.

I agree with you on the Brett C. When I purchased the Brett L. my LHBS was out of Brett C. I think that would been a better choice, but the Brett L. will make a tasty brew just the same.

I haven't tasted either or even taken a gravity sample...maybe in Dec. Both are just sitting in my cellar waiting it out.

Back