Dangers of glass carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homer:
There used to be available 1 qt. glass bottles coated with vinyl all the way up to just below the threads, but, I haven't seen one in about 40 yrs. and don't know if available.
Sudbuster's idea of a fiberglass wrap has merit; best of 2 worlds. Maybe they'll be offered commercially? Hear that, vendors?

And I wonder why modern science can't come up with a process where they coat a GLASS carboy in a clear plastic covering just to keep these accidents from hurting people.

Seems like SOMEONE ought to be able to come up with a solution to this problem...

!

Could you take a bunch of that shrink wrap plastic that's used for insulating windows in the wintertime (cheap at the hardware store) .... Wrap it around your carboy 5-10 times....and then hit it with a blow dryer to shrink it tight? Would probably look pretty ghetto, but could prevent the catastrophe.....

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

And I wonder why modern science can't come up with a process where they coat a GLASS carboy in a clear plastic covering just to keep these accidents from hurting people.

Those are available for precisely that purpose. They are laboratory-grade carboys made of borosilicate glass with PVC coating and they cost well over 500 bucks each for a 5 gallon (19 litres) model. Many of them even come with graduated measurement lines on the side. Bonus, since they're borosilicate you can even put boiling wort in them and place them straight into an ice water bath without fear of cracking.

http://krackeler.com/catalog/product/1718/PyrexPlus-Coated-Solution-Bottles-and-Carboys

Dream come true, right? So, you ready to drop the cash and buy a few?

Damn hope you get well soon! That looked pretty nasty. I'm a bucket guy - always have been. Just got me a SS Brew Bucket and I'm glad I did after reading this.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ummm... ok seriously want to get rid of my 5 Pyrex carboys now... Real deal Pyrex is a lot stronger than normal carboy glass... right? I know it is thermally... but is it against shock?

I bumped a glass carboy into an empty pyrex carboy and the pyrex cracked. It didn't shatter like a glass carboy would have. I even took it outside and tried filling it with water before tossing it and it didn't leak. I would gladly trade all of my glass carboys for pyex.

Most of the time I just use buckets and corny kegs, but like Homer I keep the glass around for mead and wine and I try to keep them in milk crates.

I missed the orginal post, but I'm glad to hear the healing process is coming along.

I bumped a glass carboy into an empty pyrex carboy and the pyrex cracked. It didn't shatter like a glass carboy would have. I even took it outside and tried filling it with water before tossing it and it didn't leak. I would gladly trade all of my glass carboys for pyex.

Pyrex is a brand name, not a material. As such, the materials used in Pyrex branded glassware have changed over time.

Borosilicate glass is the term you're looking for. Back in the day, all Pyrex branded glassware used to be made of borosilicate glass. Not anymore. Today, you never know what Pyrex is made from unless it's specifically a piece of laboratory glassware; then it is definitely borosilicate glass.

I didn't read the whole thread, matter of fact, I saw the pic in the OP's post, and clicked on last page. EEEEWWWWWWW. I switched over to Better Bottles on everything about 2 years ago. Getting on in my years, and the threads, like this one, scared me. Not to mention, my new plastic fermenters are easier to carry. I put them in plastic milk crates out of habit, but it helps with the "gurgling" of plastic carboys. Best of luck in your recovery to the OP. Nasty cut there.

Those are available for precisely that purpose. They are laboratory-grade carboys made of borosilicate glass with PVC coating and they cost well over 500 bucks each for a 5 gallon (19 litres) model. Many of them even come with graduated measurement lines on the side. Bonus, since they're borosilicate you can even put boiling wort in them and place them straight into an ice water bath without fear of cracking.

http://krackeler.com/catalog/product/1718/PyrexPlus-Coated-Solution-Bottles-and-Carboys

Dream come true, right? So, you ready to drop the cash and buy a few?

Who said anything about borosilicate? I merely want a plain glass carboy, but with a plastic coating added for fracture resistance. It doesn't seem that impossible to me.

Sorry to hear about that man I like the wood crate idea I usually use thick leather work gloves when carrying around my carboys! Cheers

I suppose there is a plastic that would be strong enough to protect against broken glass shards. Shrink wrap is not one of them. Kevlar comes to my mind. Big $$$$

How much are you willing to pay?? I would expect well over $100 for anything that would be cut proof.

I wouldn't expect it completely prevent the glass from breaking through, but there has got to be a dippable plastic material that would reduce it considerably, and lessen the chance of a major cut, and possibly help prevent the thing from cracking from small bumps in the first place. Maybe like a clear plasti-dip type thing.

I wouldn't expect it completely prevent the glass from breaking through, but there has got to be a dippable plastic material that would reduce it considerably, and lessen the chance of a major cut, and possibly help prevent the thing from cracking from small bumps in the first place. Maybe like a clear plasti-dip type thing.

Like a 14" diameter vinyl tube that you can cut to the length of a carboy and slip over it. It can save you from minor bumps and maybe direct the broken glass inwards

Carboy Parka???

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404233455.021506.jpg

Mover's wrap is cheap, flexible and could be wrapped around the carboy a dozen times or until it's thick enough. I don't think the idea is to put an impenetrable to broken glass kevlar jacket on the thing, just something that might direct some of the broken glass inward instead of outward and into your arm.

UPDATE: Starting to feel localized tingly sensations on my ring and pinky fingers. My grip strength is stuck at 75 lbs vs 120 on my left hand, i need to regain control of the muscles before i see any improvement in strength. Hopefully over the next few months i can move my middle-pinky fingers side to side again if the nerve continues to regenerate. The Doc says i'm making good progress.

Godspeed on the healing - that is truly an eye opener. I just bought one of the slings a few day ago to carry mine. I guess I have been naive to the risk all these years.

I wonder if you could spray plasti-dip on a carboy and make it safer? Kids put that stuff on their cars these days for rock chip protection, and to look 'cool' since it is peel off and temporary.

Spray-on bedliner.

I wonder if you could spray plasti-dip on a carboy and make it safer?
After reading this and other horror stories I put a pretty thick layer of clear plasti-dip on my carboys. The plasti-dip makes me feel a bit better, but I'm still VERY careful with them. It seems that they'll need another layer soon, the plasti-dip scratches off pretty easily.

Lol... plasti-dipped the rims on my 4Runner about 2 years ago, still looks great. Not sure it would help all that much if you dropped the carboy.

If it keeps the shards together and not in your person, I'd say time and money well spent! Amazing the tests that were done in the other thread.

Tonight I was cleaning a few better bottles. While I was pouring out some cleaner my carboy slipped, smacked my utility sink, and actually cracked my better bottle. I need a new one.

All that went through my mind was 'Thank God that wasn't a glass carboy!'.

Back