Storage of yeast under CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
Several years ago, I bought some dry wine yeast in a 500 gram package. It was incredibly cheap, and very convenient to just dip some out for a batch. Before I was able to use it all up (about two years), it apparently died from exposure to oxygen. I always stored it in the fridge, and wrapped it up tightly before I returned it to the cold temps.

What I would like to do is to create a (or modify some existing) storage container that I can flush with CO2 to purge out the oxygen. It should be big enough to store a few 500 gram packs, and therefore must have a large enough opening to move them in and out.

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions/smart remarks?:D

You could use a large mouth plastic bottle (Coke, water, etc) and stick a valve stem in the cap that you can buy from a tire store. That way you could fill the bottle with the yeast, loosely put the bottle cap on, squeeze out the air, and then fill with a tire chuck from you CO2 tank. Then release the CO2 and repeat till the Oxygen is purged.

I don't think it was exposure to oxygen that killed the yeast. Morel likely it simply expired due to age. Not knocking your idea, but dry yeast is relatively inexpensive. Why not just use the standard small individual packets? These will be fresher and they are easy to use.

I would furnish a smart remark if I was smart enough. Unfortunately I'm not!

Are you making wine or beer with this yeast?

+1 on individual packages

Otherwise how about a Reynolds Handi vac sealer with bags. Suck out the air and stick them in the freezer. I have done that with bread yeast with good success. You don't need CO2 you just need to get rid of the Oxygen. But in the long run it was cheaper & easier to just buy small amounts as needed.

5 grams of dry yeast=usually $.60 to $2.00

500 grams of dry yeast=$13.00

That's why I'd like to buy in "bulk". It's way cheaper.

That is a substantial savings, but then you are stuck with using the same yeast all the time. I use different strains for different beer styles. Where do you buy the bulk yeast? That is dirt cheap at only a few cents per gram. I don't like paying the high price for the vials and smack packs either, but the individual packets are affordable and I have been using them more and more for just that reason.

not if you have to throw it away. All dry yeast have a shelf life and once the packet is opened its very short

"Store in cool (< 10C), dry conditions.
Opened sachets must be sealed and stored at 4C and used within 7 days of opening."

this is from the Fermentis site.

Sorry, but thats sorta like my wife seeing a $100 item on sale as we walk past Kohl's and saying "look its $10 off, we'd be saving $10." ;)

My reply to her always is, "Yeah, actually we're saving $90 cus we're not buying it." :D

Seriously, I have to agree with Catt22 and Springer. You're savings compared to the amount of beer you probably making isn't worth the extra cost you incur from storing it and tossing it after expiring. I think the better way is to harvest, wash and re-use the yeast after each batch. That way you have healthy storage for it for at least 2 weeks to a month in a fermenter .. and can store it in a mason jar in the fridge in between batches.

All points given are good if you're discussing beer yeast.....I do just what the last post said.

This, however, is wine yeast.....and I haven't figured out how to re-use the yeast from the lees left over in the fermenter.

My yeast of choice was Fermichamp, which would ferment up to astonishing alcohol levels, did not strip out the color, and would work wonders with stuck fermentations.

I have yet to find it in small 5g packs anywhere.

Jim Karr -
I see your points and I understand what your trying to do, but storing yeast for over two years is challenging without re-colonizing a new generation even if frozen in perfect conditions. As Catt22 pointed out, age slowly catches up to us all including yeast, and they handle being frozen for a year+ much better than I do.
I would recommend doing a group buy every year with people somewhat close to you and splitting it up. Or just suck up loosing some of your yeast and fork up another $13+ every two years.
But if C02 works, please post it up here. I mean Nitrogen and vacuum packing has redefined hops storage and lifetimes.
Best of luck,

Back