Cedar Keezer - Hoppopotomus Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishcor2000

Reaction score
Really liked Hoppopotomus thread on his cedar keezer build so most of the work was based on his thread which was extremely helpful. Immitation is the best form of flattery right? lol.
We have a lot of cedar inside and outside so this truly was a perfect fit.

We still are not done yet, but here is our build so far on our 8.8 cu ft Kenmore chest freezer:

About the only place we have room for it and much better spot for a keezer than bookshelf and curio cabinet right?
image002.jpg
image001.jpg

Heres the freezer and yep it fits 4 kegs easily thanks to the cardboard cutouts.
image003.jpg
image014.jpg

Framing and putting on casters
image046.jpg
image047.jpg

Finished stain and poly along with cedar planks and cedar logs and putting on plywood (told u it was very similar to Hoppo's lol)
image020.jpg
image023.jpg

Building the coffin and inserting fans and pvc tube for beer lines
image037.jpg
image038.jpg

I'm happy to have helped you out.....great work so far! :mug:

Any questions.....just let me know. Keep up the great work. I'm very curious to see how you trim the top out, tile selections, etc.

Holes cut for the taps, some insulation cut, and the cement board on the coffin:
image041.jpg
image039.jpg

After staining the trim boards and sides of the coffin:
image043.jpg
image045.jpg

We have a unique "tile" that we will be working on shortly. More to come...

cement board down:
keezer055.jpg
keezer056.jpg

drum roll....our "unique tile" and love controller installed:
keezer059.jpg
keezer060.jpg

stone mortared and hopefully grouting today:
keezer061.jpg
keezer062.jpg

wiring completed for love controller:
keezer063.jpg
keezer064.jpg

We have taken a lot more photos than what we've posted in this thread. If you are interested in seeing all the photos we've taken thus far, here's the entire album on photobucket: linky.

We purchased a couple storm door closers that we're hoping to attach to the freezer, or frame somehow: linky. Do you think this will help support the keezer when we open it? Also, not really sure how to attach. Are there coils inside the freezer towards the top, near the lid? Could we attach to the freezer, or do you think we should attach somehow to the frame? Any advice?

The stone looks fantastic! Your almost there.....keep up the great work! So, what are you doing for the final horizontal trim? I'm getting ready to make a few modifications to mine......I need to get the CO2 outside of the keezer. I have been have a small issue with pressure creeping with my regulators, which the good folks a kegconnection.com said was due to moisture forming in the regulators with them being housed inside of the keezer. I had a patient who was gracious enough to give me a 20 lb. CO2 cylinder, so I'm going to house it, along with the regulators, in my pantry adjacent to the keezer and just run long gas lines through the adjacent wall, behind the fridge and somehow up to the coffin and down into the keezer. It will be great to have readily accessible regulators on a big a$$ CO2 cylinder without having to pull this tank out to open it everytime I want to make an adjustment. I am also considering a linear actuator (Jester369's idea....not mine) :D to open the top which is ridiculously heavy. Keep up the good work and I'm glad my build has helped you out! :mug:

Hopefully door closers are the answer to help with lifting the top/coffin. Linky.Worried the hinges may not hold up for the the long run.

Thanks for all the comments :) More progress this weekend!

Stones are now grouted:
keezer069.jpg
keezer070.jpg

here's the coffin with everything laid out how we'll eventually have it:
keezer067.jpg
keezer068.jpg

Finally finished (waiting on the last 2 tap handles, but that's it!):
keezer074.jpg

keezer073.jpg

keezer076.jpg

"Toppe Tap" beer mugs my wife made for my Birthday:
keezer077.jpg

Very nice! I'll post a pic. of the "original" on your thread tonight or tomorrow. Congrats! :mug:

P.S. I love the look of the "worm tracks" on the logs. I contemplated keeping them on the logs I used, but my wife didn't care for them, so I knifed down the sap wood until they were gone. The worm tracks give the logs more character IMO. Looks great!

Hey Ischcor.....Here are the pics or the "original" in it's final resting spot. Just need to get the finish on the cedar log bar stools and build a cedar log framed chalk board for above the keezer to display the tap line-up. I am also still trying to talk my wife into letting me cover the fridge to the left with the same thin knotty pine paneling that I used for the keezer build, but she is really against it for whatever reason. Here are the pics. :mug:

Oh yeah....I still need to get a longer drip tray as well, because it was originally a 3 tap system that I converted to 4 taps a few months ago.

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

That looks awesome! I was thinking the white fridge does look a little out of place with the rest of the theme there, but wasn't going to nitpick because everything else looks great!
I got my drip tray at barproducts.com and was happy with it. Seemed a lot cheaper than other drip trays and looks great. Kind of a hard site to navigate but good product, so I'm happy with it.

Yeah, I was on their site as well and it's a b*tch to navigate. I was looking at their 19" x 4" stainless tray. It was much cheaper than on other sites, just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet. Maybe this weekend. Again, nice job on the keezer and enjoy! :mug:

Back