Cleaning Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newdamage1

Reaction score
I just finished my first ferment, and I read a few posts about people soaking their primarys with bleach, is it OK to soak a plastic bucket primary? I don't want to contaminate the plastic...

Also, my wife made a batch of Maine mussels in my stainless wort pot. :eek: I cleaned it (soap and water) immediately after she was done, it didn't retain any smell. (and told her, no touchy the beer supplies!) Do I need to do anything special to stainless to make sure a nasty clam smell/taste doesn't make it into my next batch?

Thanks!!
Kelly

Yes, bleach is fine for buckets, just rinse really, really well. The buckets tend to get a little stained and retain a bit of odor, both of which are easily taken care of with a bleach solution.

As to the stainless pot, as long as it's clean, you're fine. And remember - you've got to keep SWMBO on your side in these endeavors, don't piss her off. Wives can be great and helpful and supportive like mine, or make beermaking a guilt-ridden, miserable process.

And are you really complaining that she cooked you up a batch of mussels? :confused:

the_bird said:
Yes, bleach is fine for buckets, just rinse really, really well. The buckets tend to get a little stained and retain a bit of odor, both of which are easily taken care of with a bleach solution.

As to the stainless pot, as long as it's clean, you're fine. And remember - you've got to keep SWMBO on your side in these endeavors, don't piss her off. Wives can be great and helpful and supportive like mine, or make beermaking a guilt-ridden, miserable process.

And are you really complaining that she cooked you up a batch of mussels? :confused:

Thanks for the info, and the mussels we not for me, which does leave me some room to complain! ;)

Wasn't there a recipe for some kind of clam beer? Maybe that's what you need to brew next. ucccccccky!! And to think that people look down on fruit in beer. :confused:

My wife just used my stainless pot to make oreo balls for Christmas (oreo, cream cheese, p-b chips...ground, rolled, dipped in chocolate). Maybe my next batch should be a chocolate stout. lol

fezzman said:
My wife just used my stainless pot to make oreo balls for Christmas (oreo, cream cheese, p-b chips...ground, rolled, dipped in chocolate).

So what is the rest of the recipie?? (I am addicted to oreos.. they are more likely the cause of my beer belly than the beer is)

SpamDog

Back