First Wort Hopping...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punk_rockin2001

Reaction score
I just tried first wort hopping today for the first time, the wort is still draining from the mash tun, so it'll be a while before I can try to see any difference. Anyone else done this with any luck? I did a few searches on here about it but couldn't find the threads. Oh well, it sure smells nice!:mug:

Ahoy hoy,
When I drain the mash, its always onto the bittering hops in the pot Im going to boil it all in. I tried first wort right after I went all grain, and never looked back. Its sorta hard to explain. i made a batch identical to the previous with the exception of first wort hopping, and the first wort was...smoother, i dont know if thats the right word. A more mature bitter, might be a better term. Alot of folks on here do it. Alot dont. Its one of those preference things. I can go either way with the bitter hops. I just like the first wort method better.
FYI
A great day to all.

I've done this with my past few beers and it's turned out really nice, especially with the lighter flavored beers. FHW gives a lot more aroma and even taste to the brew and uses less hops. In addition, you increase the bittering by doing a FWH addition so be careful about that. I've been FHW'ing all of my beers for the past 5-6 beers and they've all came out great!

Ahoy hoy,
When I drain the mash, its always onto the bittering hops in the pot Im going to boil it all in.

I don't believe that's a fwh. Doesn't it refer to taking a percentage of your late additions and adding them to first wort, then using a normal bittering addition?

Back