American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing this again next weekend. Trying a Cascade and Citra hop schedule this time.

Mrs Yooper Thanks for the recipe. I followed it just as written and it turned out great. Just a day short of 2 weeks in the bottle. I can tell this won't last long if I don't hide some of it.

This looks right up the alley of what I've been looking for for one of my taps as a house ale that I can do in 10gal batches. Planning to try it out this week. Yooper, have you made any updates or anything or are you still using the original recipie? Still using s05? Any thought on using wlp001? (Only really cause I just got a new stir plate I want to try out)

This looks right up the alley of what I've been looking for for one of my taps as a house ale that I can do in 10gal batches. Planning to try it out this week. Yooper, have you made any updates or anything or are you still using the original recipie? Still using s05? Any thought on using wlp001? (Only really cause I just got a new stir plate I want to try out)

As far as I know 05 and 001 are the same strain if that matters. I'd say go 001 with the starter just find a calculator to find your pitch rate I like Brewers friend but others like mr malty.com.

WLP007 was awesome with this. Finishes dry like 001 or US-05, but I think works great to complement all the maltiness, but doesn't hide all the hops either.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

im doing this one again, Yooper. first go-around i used filtered water from the tap, missed my numbers and got crap efficiency. im going with R/O this time, w/ a tsp of gypsum, and a tsp of CaCl2 in the strike water(s)

Bookmarking this to be my first all-grain attempt now that I have a 10g mash-tun. I just need to buy a burner and bigger pot I think. I can't wait.

I kegged this recipe last week and I must say it's a perfect "every day" beer. The OP described it as "balanced" and I would certainly agree. My wife and neighbor both prefer wine however they can't keep their hands off the tap handle! Thanks for a simple yet delicious recipe!

Going to brew this again today, my brother sent me whole cone hops from Oregon that I will be using. It is a mix of willamette, nugget, and cascade I believe?

Hoping someone can do me a quick solid. Just started my burner. I am doing the original recipe except was hoping someone could bang in the computer what would change if I added 1 oz at 30mins instead of .75oz. My cascade aa is 7.2% not 8%. Bittering hop at 60 is 8%.
Anyone give me the change in calculated ibus?
I basically don't want .25oz left over.
Thanks!

Good beer makes good company: I went to my nephews 13th birthday party today. I planned to bring a couple of homebrews, as the only beer drinker. My brother texted me and asked if I could bring beer for his brother-in-law. Not knowing what he drinks, I brought a six of Yooper's Pale, a couple of SN IPAs, and four Millers left in the fridge. The BIL and I never have talked much, but we argued at the last party. Today, I offered him the beer choices. He chose the Pale, and really liked it. Turns out he's craft beer guy, and we had something to talk about. I like him better now. (Truthfully, I always thought he was a nice guy) Thanks again Yoop.

Brewed last week. Used Cascade pellets for first addition so bitterness would be dialed in, the rest (including dry hop) are whole cone random mix of the willamette, cascade, and nugget hops. Missed OG due to crap milling combined with BIAB (I really need my own) and ended up at 1.052. Will be excited to try the finished experimental product!

kegged mine today. i was worried that it would taste salty, because i added 5.2 powder to both the strike and sparge water. it tastes ok, though. i won't be using 5.2 in the future. in 5 or 6 days, it should be dry hopped and carbed. yeehaw! FG was .013

Tinkered with the hop schedule a bit. Kept it cascade though, then dry hopped with 1oz of citra. What really makes this beer is the 5lbs-3lbs-2lbs base malt. The combination is absolutely fantastic. I'm going to try it in a sweet stout this weekend. Thank you for this great recipe!

Tinkered with the hop schedule a bit. Kept it cascade though, then dry hopped with 1oz of citra. What really makes this beer is the 5lbs-3lbs-2lbs base malt. The combination is absolutely fantastic. I'm going to try it in a sweet stout this weekend. Thank you for this great recipe!

I agree. It will be hard to deviate from this base.

I brewed this recipe, fermented in the low 60s for three weeks and somehow ended up at at 1.020 (using S05). Any idea of what I did wrong? Maybe I mashed too high (I thought I was at 154)? I have since increased the temp to 72 to see if I can get it to drop but so far it has not worked.
At this point I will most likely just keg it.

I have another in fermenter and bubbling away .... American ale yeast from wyeast 1 l starter and ferment took off 8 hrs. O.g. 1.062 About 5% increase in efficiency doing a batch sparge. And expected to finish at 1.013.

I have 05 and nottingham, which one would be better in this beer?

Depends on your temp control. Notty at 60 or 05 at 65 will be very similar, i.e. neutral in flavor addition. So it you don't have a temp control fermentation chamber I would probably go with 05.

Notty is more aggressive so be ready with a blowoff if you go that way. It also might give you a little dryer beer, i.e. eat that final gravity a bit lower, but probably not a noticeably amount.

Thanks very much, I'll use 05.have had great results. Malt bill looks fantastic , can't wait to brew it t tomorrow .

Thanks very much, I'll use 05.have had great results. Malt bill looks fantastic , can't wait to brew it t tomorrow .

Yes, this is a wonderful beer. It was this recipe that started me using Maris Otter. Now I hardly make a beer without it. You can play with the hops to suit your taste but it has such a solid base structure that you really can't do wrong.

I got a batch of this fermenting right now. I decided to make it exactly as the recipe dictates to get a feel for the beer, then tweak accordingly, or not. Also my first non BIAB all grain, so i'm happy that went well, hit the OG numbers spot on.

After raising the temperature I was able to get my fg down to 1.015. I kegged it on Saturday. Sunday afternoon I went to pull my first pint but got nothing but gas. The out connector to the keg had popped off and all 5 gallons emptied out in to my keezer. I never even got the chance to sample it.
I will start over tomorrow night.

First time I brewed this was first batch kegged and I had about a gallon leak out...was pissed enough at that, but yours takes the cake. Sorry to hear that. I just kegged my 3rd batch of this using a mix of whole cone cascade, nugget, and willamette for everything and Not the best result. My bother had dried the hops using dehydrator and although he used low heat setting I can't help but think we lost some flavor out of those....it's more malty than should be, but still drinkable.

I think i'm going to brew this this weekend. Going to use Brett and make it my first Brett beer, great looking recipe.

So, I'm here, indulging In this absolutely fantastic creation, this was all grain #2 with simcoe/amarillo. No dry hop , pitched the trub in, used irish moss, and no chill, never been happier!
Here is to you yooper! Cheers!

I just drank my last bottle yesterday. I typically like more hoppy beers, but I have to say, I was sad to the last one gone.

Back