whirlpooling 5 gal and 10 gal in same kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugaboo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Finally broke down and bought a march pump and a hop rocket. So i'm devising how to keep my trub into fermenter down. I think about whilrpooling 20 min before flameout and then beginning chill once trub cone is formed.

I've read that pointing the intake tube should be pointed up to get the best whirlpool. Not concerned about stratification since i'm not using the whirlpool to cool. Was wondering if anyone has used the hole position for 5 gal batches to get a good whirlpool for 10 gal batches? Rather not have the extra hole for 10 gal if I don't have to.

Here's another thought. One hole good for 10 gal batches. Two different diiptubes for whirlpooling. One longer tube which reaches further down for 5 gal and another shorter tube for 10 gal. Here's an awesomely crappy drawing

whirlpooltube5 and 10 gal.jpg

I use the same set up for whatever size batch I make. My tubing just turns to the left and makes a whirlpool. Not really worried about it pointed up or down since I never noticed a difference when I played with that.

kettle.jpg

I upgraded my March pump with the bigger impeller. It takes a little longer to get spinning with the 10 gal. batches. Maybe 15 seconds or so longer. So, no big deal.

Back