Conditioning/Aging rocks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
So although I give my beers at least a few weeks of conditioning after bottling or kegging, they don't usually stick around long due to my lushy friends & family. That being said, my recent high gear brewing has developed a large inventory. Back in January I brewed an Oatmeal Stout and in mid Feb I opened a bottle. It was good... ish, but the SWMBO didn't like it. She said it was "Harsh". I kept telling her it would get better, she was skeptical. Anyway, I just put a bunch of them in the fridge this past weekend and she and I had a few of them last night. She LOVES it now! She was quite impressed! Now she's calling it one of the best brews I've done. She's even encouraging me to enter it in a local comp. Woohoo! Oh, BTW the thin line between arausal & asleep that was discussed in a previous thread was way overshot and she conked out after her 3rd beer... bummer... :(

Um, why would you condition/age rocks? Aren't rocks already aged enough? I mean, we're talking billions of years here. That's what I call "conditioning".

Seriously, at first, I thought you were talking about aging actual rocks. Hehe.

Yes, aging your brew really does make a diff. A big diff. Especially big beers.

Back