Virginity Broken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fifthplanecomin

Reaction score
First year plants with a first year grower.

When I bought these guys from a local farm they were barely lil sprouts with tiny leaves on em.

Local deer nibbled em down to the dirt but they sprouted up again.

I strung up some twine from the top of my car port to the roof of my house and crossed my left hand fingers and flipped my right hand bird to the local deer population.

Today was my first full plucking. - Virgin no more.

Dry paper feel to them with a familuar smell.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441778102.576532.jpg
My largest popcorn bowl
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441778125.545200.jpg
Hung them from my basement ceiling on a screen as one layer
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441778226.503581.jpg
I didn't take a dry weight but I'll buy a decent digital scale tomorrow.

I had no expectations from the two potted plants where I ended up training three bines up over six feet and three feet horizontal along my roof gutter.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441778370.806384.jpg

I might get a fan going across these as well but my basement is rather dry and void of any sunlight. I even blocked the light from a 80Watt bulb near by that's off and on at random usage.

Here's to hoping I cashed in my V card correctly.

Thoughts?

After drying and vacuum sealing them I ended up with 11.5oz in my freezer.

Now what do I do with the trimmed down potted plants over the winter? Just let them weather it outside? Should I bring them in the house?

Ha - I'm guessing they'll be fine on their own outside.

Now what do I do with the trimmed down potted plants over the winter? Just let them weather it outside? Should I bring them in the house?

Ha - I'm guessing they'll be fine on their own outside.

Don't bring them in. The warmth will cause them to sprout prematurely - which would waste a lot of energy. However, they may need some protection if it gets below freezing. Make sure the soil doesn't completely dry out and consider piling leaves around and over them.

Leave them outside. I am in one of the coldest places on this board, middle of Canada, the ground definitely freezes well below my hops, and they come back every year. Once they are established, it is harder to get rid of them than it is to keep them alive.

Latest posts

Back