How long to wait after Wyest smack..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
What is to long to wait on a Wyest after you smacked it. Brewed a batch tongiht....but because of the heat I am having trouble getting to down to pitching temp... I smacked the back at 12:30 pm...its is now 10:14 p.m....how much longer can I hold out....

it's fine...it can go a day or two. your yeast is just fermenting away in the pack...nothing can get in to contaminate it.

I would really try to cool that wort as fast as you can, tho. what's the problem? using a sink/tub?

the wart has alread been combined with water and is in carboy awaiting the yeast.... I had given the initial boiled wart an ice bath already. Normally an ice bath along with being poured with room temp water bring its to mid 70's. But since it was a hundred degrees out today.... I am having some difficulties, and the carboy is holding at 80. So i assume i will wait till it goes down in a few ours.. its in a shallow ice bath, but 5 gallons cools slooooow.

yeah, you could pitch now, but the yeast will raise the temperature even more and you probably don't want your beer fermenting at 80+

I always bring my down to 72 before i pitch, then i use my fermentation chiller to keep it below 70.

what kind of a beer is it?

Back