Add WLP007 to WLP005?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doncoyote137

Reaction score
Last week I brewed up an extract stout kit that turned out to be bigger than I had anticipated. I prepared a 1.5L starter of WLP005 figuring it would be at least 1.060+. When the boil was finished the O.G. came in at 1.092. The fermentation has been vigorous for the past 4 days but things are slowing down (krausen has dropped) and the gravity is at 1.050. My question is whether WLP005 has what it takes to finish this fight or if I should make and add a small starter of WLP007 (or something similar?) and send it in as reinforcements?
-Cheers

Take a gravity measurement before you do anything. That said, if you're relatively close to where you want your FG to be, your second pitch isn't going to add much character to the beer unless it's something super-wacky (e.g. Belgian Saison, et al.) and your fermentation temps are controlled.

Note that I keep clean fermenting dry yeast on-hand for just this sort of scenario. US-05 can be a life-saver in these situations. Buy a few packs --they store forever AND it's basically the Chico strain, so it makes a mighty fine beer when you're in a pinch for yeast anyway.

Back