Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlivingston10

jmlivingston10
Reaction score
Sup guys.
Going to be getting a keg this week, ball lock vs. pin lock. What's the pros and cons of each and what do you guys recommend?
::Cheers::
~J

The real cons of pin vs. ball lock is the millionbajillion threads it seems to generate every week, all asking the same question. (Sorry, don't mean to pick on you :mug:)

Ball are taller and skinnier. Pin are shorter and fatter.
Ball has a pressure release valve. Pin don't.
There seems to be a vague preference for ball mounts, but not so much that it trumps other factors (like what fits in your fridge).

if you arent already set up for either one or the other, then there is no real difference to you.

if you alreay have ball lock stuff, get ball lock kegs. same for the reverse.

It is getting harder to find ball lock kegs, and they are more expensive than pin locks. If I were to start kegging now, I would go with pin locks.

Ball lock fit in my danby 4.4 cu ft kegerator and pin lock do not. Makes it an easy choice but ball lock are getting hard to find.

The major issue is the height of the kegs with the QD's if height is not a problem pins are ok. If height is an issue as it is with most small fridges ball locks are the ones

Ball is the most popular because it is the most prevalent. You will have an easier time finding maintenance and replacement parts for ball locks than you will with pin locks. They only make new kegs as ball locks as well, so yes, I would most definitely go with ball locks.

I've got two pin locks in use - I can't fit them both into a G.E. mini-fridge kegerator, so I'm going to turn them into full-time fermentors once I can get a couple of ball-locks, and use MFL to transfer between them. Unless you have space constraints, you may find that either/or works. With MFL in between most of your line and the kegs the type of keg connection doesn't matter much.

However, if you do go pin-lock, life is a lot easier if you replace the static relief valve with a spring-loaded relief valve.

Ball Locks are easier to purge since they have a pressure relief valve that you can pull. Pin Locks have a static relief valve that cannot be operated manually. With pin locks you have to purge through the gas in port by depressing the poppet which is more of a pain becauee you have to keep hooking and unhooking the QD as you go.

Hai guys,
Picked up a ball lock keg a couple weeks ago, and in having some issues with carbonating.
I think I did the force method my LHS gave wrong the first time, so I let out all the pressure and started over, it's doing better but my beer still is flat... Any suggestions? I'm regulated at 30 psi right now, I was at 20 the past 24 hours. I think my LHS does a poor job explaining things ( not to mention I'm a visual learner :-D ).
Thanks guys
Cheers!
-J

Back