BTU to Watts conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty

Reaction score
Does any one know the math or website that can convert one to the other.

Bayou Classic has there banjo with a stand on sale was wondering which is going to give me more bang for the buck

The Banjo is up to 210000btu. What do i need in a Heating element to come close to this or what does a 5500w element equal in btu.

Time is a factor in my brew day as i work 7days a week.

Thanks

Rock Chalk

Chris

The conversion factor won't answer the question you have. Not completely, anyway.

A large percentage of btu's ( or heat energy ) from a flame is thrown away to the air and surrounding objects. All of the energy from an electrical element goes to the water (except an insignificant amount lost in the home wiring and any switching apparatus, like a solid state relay).

I've done a bunch of these calculations, and I have several threads with graphs that can help you here. If you want that stuff, just ask and I'll track it down.

BTW...

1 BTU/hr = 0.293 Watts

210,000 BTU/hr * 0.293 = 61530 Watts

I don't think its a direct conversion because with propane, a lot of heat never gets into the water. With electric, everything goes into the water.

The conversion factor won't answer the question you have. Not completely, anyway.

A large percentage of btu's ( or heat energy ) from a flame is thrown away to the air and surrounding objects. All of the energy from an electrical element goes to the water (except an insignificant amount lost in the home wiring and any switching apparatus, like a solid state relay).

I've done a bunch of these calculations, and I have several threads with graphs that can help you here. If you want that stuff, just ask and I'll track it down.

BTW...

1 BTU/hr = 0.293 Watts

Lol. You beat me to it.

BTW...

1 BTU/hr = 0.293 Watts

Thanks

Exactly what im looking for

Chris

Latest posts

Back