IPA Hop Madness Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YouHadMeAtASL

Reaction score
Hey all. This is my first post, but I have learned a ton from this forum. Here's my IPA Hop Madness story.

Yesterday went to the LHBS to get ingredients for an IPA (Ninkasi Total Domination Clone, which I found off this site.) I realized at checkout that the recipe was for an 11 gallon batch instead of the 5 gallon I was planning on. I had 14 pounds of LME, 3.3 pounds of Munich Malt Extract, 3 pounds of Carahell and about 10 oz. of hops!

Right in line, I decided to just halve all ingredients for the brew. 7lbs of LME, 1.5lbs of Munich Malt Extract, and 1.7lbs of Carahell.

Here's where it happened. I seriously just forgot to cut the hops in half. Here is the recipe I ended up brewing.

7lbs LME
1.5 lb Munich Malt Extract
1.5 lb Carahell (steeped ~160deg. for 30 min.)
WYeast 1968 London ESB Ale
(And now the hop insanity)
1.5oz Summit 17% (60 min)
1 oz Amarillo 10.6% (30 min)
1 oz Crystal 5.6% (30 min)
1 oz Amarillo 10.6% (15 min)
1 oz Crystal 5.6% (15 min)
1 oz Centennial 10% (15 min)
1 oz Amarillo 10.6% (0 min)
1 oz Centennial 10% (0 min)

I used looseleaf hops. So when I poured the cooled wort into the carboy, it was insanely hard to get enough of it due to a lot of the liquid being drawn into the hops. I squeezed as much as I could out of them and came out with ~2.5 gallons of wort. Filled water up to 5 gallons.

Original gravity was 1.060.

It's a dark, golden color and smells pretty tasty actually. It's fermenting happily at the moment. I haven't tasted it yet, but what do you guys think? Is this going to be a face-punch of hops?

Here's what it looks like:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28513691@N00/sets/72157625891266100/

looks like it should be around 130-140 ibu. depends on how much you like hops, but it'll definitely let you know it has some hoppiness to it :D

No worries...especially with whole hops. Unless you don't like IPAs, I've tried making some real hop monsters...and I've noticed that your palate just has a set saturation point for hops (over that, and it just doesn't register).

looks like it should be around 130-140 ibu. depends on how much you like hops, but it'll definitely let you know it has some hoppiness to it :D

Wow that's a lot of IBU's, almost double that of a Stone IPA!

Back