a Wit beer with a caramel flavor.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snccoulter

Reaction score
So my wife would ike me to brew a wit with a carmel flaver. Do you brew gods have a good recipe or can you point me in a good direction. I am currentally brewing extracts but i am going to get into all grain in a few months. So either will work for me.

Thanks
Steve

Have her chew on some caramel malts until she finds one that has the flavor she wants, add ~1 lb of it to a standard wit recipe (wheat extract, low hopping, orange peel, coriander, and I like some chamomile).

Thank youthat is what i was thinking but i was not sure if just adding the carmamel malts would do it...

Are you absolutely positive she wants a witbier?

You might also try sampling some dubbels to see what she thinks of them. I'm not saying adding caramel malt to a wit is a bad idea, but a fruity, estery dubbel might be what she's looking for.

In terms of ingredients, you might also try fooling around with adding dark candi sugar or the like, but be careful because that will raise your ABV quickly and it tends to ferment out drier, especially if you add lighter sugars. And you typically don't want to exceed maybe 10% or so of your total malt bill with that stuff.

I'm having a tough time imagining a wit with caramel flavor. You're certain that's what she wants? Are you certain she knows what she's asking for?

I believe Randy Mosher has a recipe for an Amber Wit in Radical Brewing. I don't have the book with me right now to see what it was comprised of.

I've been working on a winter wit recipe, the second iteration of which I'll be brewing up next weekend. The first version wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it did have a nice caramelly sweetness to it. I used something like 45% each base malt and unmalted wheat, 5% melanoidin malt, 2.5% each brown malt and Special B.

Back