Input needed for a Kolsch recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
I'm shooting for 4.5% ABV and to be on the drier side in terms of taste.

7.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.04 %
0.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.00 %
0.33 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3.96 %
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.2 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Color comes out at 3.5SRM
IBUs hit at 23.1

How will the 1/3lb of munic effect it? I keep seeing recipes that call for no munich but according to beersmith it would put me under the color if I don't, and then I see others like edworts with munich and nothing but raves about it.
If I cold crash this thing hard, to get that super clarity should I still use Gelatin? Normally I don't care for superior clarity in what I drink but I want to shock and awe my parents who keep bothering me for a lighter colored beer.

Would Tets be a better choice for saaz for this style?

I'm shooting for 4.5% ABV and to be on the drier side in terms of taste.

7.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.04 %
0.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.00 %
0.33 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3.96 %
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.2 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Color comes out at 3.5SRM
IBUs hit at 23.1

How will the 1/3lb of munic effect it? I keep seeing recipes that call for no munich but according to beersmith it would put me under the color if I don't,

I can't think of any reason to add Munich malt to a Kolsch. Pilsner malt is all you need with the option of a touch of wheat malt. That small amount isn't going to do a hell of a lot anyway and those color numbers with most of the brew programs are ballpark figures IMO.

If I cold crash this thing hard, to get that super clarity should I still use Gelatin? Normally I don't care for superior clarity in what I drink but I want to shock and awe my parents who keep bothering me for a lighter colored beer.

Would Tets be a better choice for saaz for this style?

Go ahead and use gelatin if you normally do. Sometimes the Kolsch yeasts aren't all that flocculant and the combination of cold conditioning and a hit of gelatin will give you a very nice clear Kolsch. Re Saaz, I like German hops in German beers. Hallertau or Spalt are my first choices for a Kolsch but Tett would be good too. :mug:

Thanks I'll drop the Munich and keep the wheat at it is. I'll try and see if the LHBS (use that L lightly;) ) has any other german nobles.

Forgot to ask about mashing. I've only done two all grains and I mashed those at around 154, would hitting this thing at 149ish make it too light in body?

Why no wheat malt? Too much residual body? What about some head retention?

PS. Great name, makes me want to bust out the NES.

You'll get really good head retention from the Pilsner malt. As for the wheat and Munich they are optional and really depend on personal preference. I like my Kolsch with 100% Pilsner but everyone has different tastes.

You'll get really good head retention from the Pilsner malt. As for the wheat and Munich they are optional and really depend on personal preference. I like my Kolsch with 100% Pilsner but everyone has different tastes.

Sounds like a good reason to do a SMaSH Kolsch.

Sounds like a good reason to do a SMaSH Kolsch.

My recipe is a SMaSH:
10 lb Pilsner
1.25 oz Hallertau (4.1 AA) at 60 - 21 IBU
.25 oz Hallertau (4.1 AA) at 5 - 0 IBU
Wyeast 2565
21 IBU
Mash temp 148-150
OG 1.050
FG 1.010
5.2 ABV
Ferment temp 55
Ferment temp is crucial as well as a long enough boil to boil off DMS

Wheat is almost always included in American homebrew recipes but the majority of indigenous Kolsch brews are made with all pils malt. As for Munich malt, leave it out IMO it's strickly a homebrew thing and not part of a traditional Kolsch. I like a little wheat malt and use 6% which gives a really nice white head without intruding on the pilsner flavor. In short, keep it simple and resist the temptation to screw around with a good thing. :mug:

My recipe is a SMaSH:
10 lb Pilsner
1.25 oz Hallertau (4.1 AA) at 60 - 21 IBU
.25 oz Hallertau (4.1 AA) at 5 - 0 IBU
Wyeast 2565
21 IBU
Mash temp 148-150
OG 1.050
FG 1.010
5.2 ABV
Ferment temp 55
Ferment temp is crucial as well as a long enough boil to boil off DMS

Fermentation temps aren't a problem. I've figured out a way to keep my swamp cooler in the 50s easily enough. I have a 60qt igloo roller cooler thats filled with water and frozen bottles. Instead of wrapping the carboy in a wet towel I cover the top of the cooler in layers of thick beach towels, leaving space for the neck/airlock to poke through.

Lagering will be a differen't problem though, going to have to try and make room in the garage fridge, too many people under one roof.

Haha thanks! It's a little nerdy but I've been using that alias since high school.

Kölsch styles don't have head retention. The reason I'm advising not to use wheat malt is because it's not authentic to the style and won't let you get that crystal clear final product.

Back