DME or dextrose for bottling sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sol

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm bottling my first batch tonight. It's a nut brown ale from Brew Organics. They sent a small bag of DME to use for priming but I cannibalized it for a yeast starter for a batch of IPA I've got going. I don't have the full recipe on hand, but is there any reason to use DME over corn sugar (which I have at home) to prime for carbing?

Thanks!

you'll get a few opinions, but for a brown ale dextrose will be fine. DME would add a minor amount of body and sweetness since its not 100% fermentable like dextrose, but its not going to significantly alter the beer.

in many ways its a personal preference.

you can use a multitude of sugars for priming. Cane sugar, corn sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup...you can bottle condition with all of them.

Your dextrose will work great. Just make sure to use the right amount for your volume. Here's a good source for bottle conditioning info from How to Brew

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-3.html

In this write up is a nice nomograph for determining carbonation volumes by the sugar type.

Latest posts

Back