keggle Valve Coupling Clarification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmarsh544

Reaction score
I have searched the forum and have not been able to find a local location to pick up a 1/2" stainless steel coupling to weld into my newly aquired keggle. Does anyone know of a hardware store that would carry this part and maybe a parts number. I would order it online but I have an opportunity to have a master welder install this for free tonight or tomorrow night only.

Thank you

I found a SS 1/2" MPT full port coupler at my local Ace Hardware (in the plumbing section, natch). Hope that helps.

Jaybird makes one of these that he mills a groove into on one side to 3/4". This makes it really easy for a welder to weld, and you have a flush mount on the inside of the keg. I saw it last night at his shop, and it was a pretty slick setup.

PM him with your request and I'm sure he can get you set up.

I having been searching and am ready to put my keggle together.

I am wondering my most people weld in a coupler instead of a nipple? Since you would most likely directly attach the ball valve on the outside why not going from nipple to ball valve instead of coupler to nipple to ball valve. Am I missing something?

Look for a Liquid Handling supply company in your area. Usually in the Industrial part of town - In your case Orange Cty should have a few. Otherwise a well stocked plumbing supply house should have them as well. Normal hardware stores don't usually stock SS fittings as it is a low demand item.

edit - duh, too late for the OP, but maybe another brewer needs the info.

I having been searching and am ready to put my keggle together.

I am wondering my most people weld in a coupler instead of a nipple? Since you would most likely directly attach the ball valve on the outside why not going from nipple to ball valve instead of coupler to nipple to ball valve. Am I missing something?

This is a guess so don't pounce on me too much if I am wring. I would say that the threads are protected from the weld using a coupler and a nipple has threads that are exposed and could be damaged when welding.

Back