fermening lager a few degrees to cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnidelyWhiplash

Reaction score
I have a fridge that only goes up to 45, confirmed by thermometer. Want to ferment wyeast oktoberfest yeast which has a temp range of 48-58. will this be able to ferment completely at 45? any tips to help

Can u you use a different yeast? Most layering I have done was always at like in the high 30s. Should just take longer. Maybe add double the yeast.

It might ferment at 45 degrees, but it might stall out. You could try it by pitching a HUGE starter and seeing if it works.

Or you could get a temperature control (I have a Johnson controller) and set it for the correct temperature. They are around $60 for the analog ones, I think.

brewboy, i'm talking fermentation temp not lagering. i can lager at the low end of my fridge temp, 34

This is my kitchen fridge, so I'd prefer not to use a temp controller and keep food any higher

At 45f ambient a lager pitched with enough healthy yeast should actually get up to 48 to 50f.

my concern is after 90% of the fermentation it won't be going fast enough to keep it warm, and the yeast will quit working early because of cold + high alcohol.

Pull it out of the fridge at the end and let it warm up. Although you probably wouldn't need it if you pitch enough yeast, this would act as a diacetyl rest and also allow it to finish. If it's 90% complete, letting it warm to room temp won't hurt the flavor profile at all.

my concern is after 90% of the fermentation it won't be going fast enough to keep it warm, and the yeast will quit working early because of cold + high alcohol.

Lager yeast still works that low, it just needs extra time, so leave it in longer after fermentation seems to be finished for it to fully attenuate.

Like stonehands said. Then it won't need to be removed for a diacetyl rest.

Back