Superior Dry Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ Brewer

Reaction score
I am attempting to make my first Helles Beer, using Superior Dry Yeast, 2 Row American Malt and a small amount of Car-Pils. I am in day three of fermentation with good yeast activity in a plastic carboy with airlock.
What are the long strings developing at the surface and hanging down into the fermenting wort?
What causes it? Should it be removed. (Hard to do in a carboy.) Will it settle after fermentation?

It's most likely strings of yeast mats, but there's also a possibility it's an infection. Do they look fuzzy or multicolored at all? If not and it looks like the same color as the rest of the junk swirling around, it's most likley just yeast.

I had the same thing happen recently - strings hanging down into the wort (as well as a strong banana smell). It freaked me out when I saw it, but the final product turned out just fine. They must be strings of yeast mats like EvilTOJ says. I've used Superior Lager Yeast several times, and this is the first time it formed yeast strings.

Latest posts

Back