Effect of difference between primery temp and bottle temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

propush

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a small question: as we all know, different temp gives different effects with the same yeast strain.

I have started to do both the primary fermentation and the secondary bottle fermentation at the same time - and I only have 1 chamber. currently, both beers use 15C as fermentation temp. But now I want to ferment a new brew at 20-22c.

So, I have a beer that needs 15c for fermentation. And when primary fermentation is done , I want to bottle it up and add a new fermenter, and this time I want like 20C for the fermenter. That will mean the bottles will get the 20C as well (or room temp - ~26c). Does this effect the beer in the bottles? If so, is this a considerable difference? doing both things at the same time allows me to brew in "chain" so I'd really like to do it, if it wont mess up the beer!

TLDR: will 5-7c deviation in the temp of the bottles (relative to the original primary fermentation temp) make a big difference?

Thank you guys ! :rockin:

p.s. - bonus question: I see people using a temp schedule instead of a constant fermentation temp. Why do people do this? What is gained? Is something gained that cannot be gained with constant temp?

Hi propush

Short answer, no big deal. Beer conditions faster at higher temps, so it depends on style and when you want to drink it.

I usually make beers between 1.040 and 1.060 that are best after about a month in the bottle at 28C. In the winter at 17C it’s more like two months.

Extra credit, the initial fermentation produces a lot of heat. It will cascade if you let it. Sort of like an avalanche. That’s when you need a blow-off tube. By lowering the initial temperature you can slow the fermentation.

so high temp during secondary fermentation in the bottle has more to do with time, and less with taste, if I understand you correctly?

hey guys, I could really use a direct answer - does this cause a difference in taste of the beer? I ask because I am going to brew batches this way, and I don't want to discover 2 batches and one month later that I had made a big mistake!

The guy here (to whom I'm grateful) stats it effects the TIME, but does it effect the beer itself?

thanks again :]

I condition my bottled beer at room temp about 10-15 degrees F warmer than fermentation with no effects on flavor. It just makes it ready sooner.

OClairBrew said:
I condition my bottled beer at room temp about 10-15 degrees F warmer than fermentation with no effects on flavor. It just makes it ready sooner.

^^^i agree with this guy^^^

The most notable yeast characteristic contributions to flavor occur in the first 24-48 hours of fermentation typically. As such, by the time it's bottle conditioning, the yeast should be contributing virtually nothing to flavor. The beer will still change over time, just as they always do, and yes, at higher temperatures, it'll age faster.

Storage temp is only typically a concern if you're
1) Aging for an extended period--In this case, cooler will be better, as it slows the aging process.
2) Storing at 100F+ --Um. Don't do this.
3) Bottling too soon--In this case, you'll probably get bottle bombs, and fast, as the yeast will chew through the residual sugars and kerplode.

smagee said:
The most notable yeast characteristic contributions to flavor occur in the first 24-48 hours of fermentation typically. As such, by the time it's bottle conditioning, the yeast should be contributing virtually nothing to flavor. The beer will still change over time, just as they always do, and yes, at higher temperatures, it'll age faster.

1) Aging for an extended period--In this case, cooler will be better, as it slows the aging process.
3) Bottling too soon--In this case, you'll probably get bottle bombs, and fast, as the yeast will chew through the residual sugars and kerplode.

^^^i also agree with this guy^^^

Although I personally would avoid storing at anything above 75 (instead of 100) for longer than a very short period of time. But I am sure that is essentially what smagee was basically saying anyway and I am probably just being redundant...

:-D

Indeed, I was certainly not intending to advocate hot-storage (although I can see where it might be misconstrued as such); I just picked the level at random. My conditioning bottles are just at ambient temp most of the time, so while it can occasionally get above 75 for a period, I concur that closer to the 60F range would be ideal.

smagee said:
Indeed, I was certainly not intending to advocate hot-storage (although I can see where it might be misconstrued as such); I just picked the level at random. My conditioning bottles are just at ambient temp most of the time, so while it can occasionally get above 75 for a period, I concur that closer to the 60F range would be ideal.

Haha. Don't worry I knew what you meant. Just figured I would elaborate a little bit. But I did really enjoy the "um... Don't do this" comment haha. Made me chuckle. :-D

Thank you! :D

Ambient temp at summer time in the most cool place at my house is 80f. so i guess i will be fine (always aged in a temp controlled area at no more then 70f). Well - just was important to know that taste will no be effected - so I can run 2 batches at the same time with a single fermentation chamber. Thank you guys for the help! This forum is wonderful, always people helping with my newbie questions!

Back