Warm Weather Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterSuds

Reaction score
I just started brewing recently and am hooked! The only problem is that my apartment is consistently 75 degrees during the summer. Everything I read suggests that the ideal fermentation temp for ales is around 68 degrees.

It doesn't matter what I do (open windows, etc), the temperature barely budges. My wife has vetoed my idea of putting the fermenter in the bathtub to keep it cool.

So here's my question: Which styles of beer and/or yeast would be successful at around 75 degrees without creating any off-flavors?

Some belgian and French ales.

Rather than the bathtub, you can put your fermenter in a large cooler, with water and frozen soda bottles to lower the fermentation temp.

I have the same problem, top of a hill, temps have been over 100 degrees for the past five days. Even with the AC running my temps inside run 75-80. Thanks to this forum, I and put together this:

bucket.jpg

The bucket was on sale at WalMart for $5. bring the water up to the level of the wort; I use smaller frozen water bottles to control the temp. I have a thermometer taped to the inside and have been able to keep the temperature of the water at 60-65 degrees which means the fermentation temp is probably right on. This batch was pitched on Saturday and has been steadily fermenting since.

Ciders, wheat beers and mead are best to brew at high temps, I think.

Basically, if you don't mind it tasting kind of like a banana, you can do it at high temp. ;)

There really isn't many beers that would turn out well at that temp. Even a saison, which is fermented hotter, should start fermentation at the high 60s and then increase from there.

SpaceportBP is right on. I use a similar setup for fermentation with great results. I can keep the fermenting beer about 15 degrees cooler than ambient. I throw a blanket on top for some insulation and to keep light from touching the carboy.

Eric

Back