yeast cake question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbieo13

Reaction score
I want to brew up a barley wine using the yeast from an ipa I just brewed. Can i just pour the wort right on top of the yeast cake or do i need to wash the yeast first? Do I need to worry about the old trub and spent yeast cells? I never tried to reuse yeast before.
Thanks

I usualy rack the primary to the secondary while my wort is cooling then pitch the new wort right on the yeast cake. You do want to go from low OG to high OG brews plus if you dry hopped your IPA you would have hops left in which will alter the next brew so also keep in mind residual flavors

I always use a clean sanatized carboy when reusing a yeast cake. I learned from ohiobrewtus. After you have your sanatized clean carboy, you get a sanatized vessel (I use a pyrex measuring cup) and collect the amount of slurry you need from mr. malty (http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html) and then I pitch that into my ready to be fermented wort.

Back