Home brewing in Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know your schedule well in advance? Can you get down to the Tokyo or Izu area for a weekend?

I have been thinking about this for a while but haven't posted yet.

I have a place in Ito, up in the mountains. There isn't much parking but a couple of cars could be okay. As long as people don't mind crashing on tatami I have an 8 mat room and a 6 mat room that people could sleep in (there are three toilets though!). I won't have enough futons for everyone, so you'd have to bring sleeping bags. There are also a couple of couches.

There is a hori kotatsu that can easily sit three people on a side. So I figure 10 to 12 people would be cozy but doable.

If we did a weekend we could have a couple of days of off flavour tasting, beer sharing and BBQ'ing if the weather permits.

I am thinking some time in March of 2015 would work for me. If there is interest, I'll set it up.

Ill help organize this CB_in_Tokyo!

Ill help organize this CB_in_Tokyo!

Awesome, Thanks!

According to the BJCP site I am able to place my order for the off flavour kit, but according to the rules I need to be recognized or above. As I don't have my score back yet, it is a bit grey whether or not I can order yet. I will keep everyone advised.

Hello all,

I recently moved to Japan and am looking to contribute to the underground homebrewing scene. I haven't read the entire thread but I'm in the Hiroshima area (Iwakuni) if there's anyone near that wants to brew/swap beers. I really like the idea of the weekend brewcation; however, Tokyo is quite a ways north. Just wanted to introduce myself to the fellow homebrewers in Japan. Last weekend I brewed a Chocolate Cherry Porter and have a Japanese version of SD-SLIM's Lemon-lime Hefe on deck. Good times! Also, I'm a newly Certified BJCP judge if you need assistance with the off flavor kit or anything else. Happy Brewing.

Hi espyusmc! Welcome to the big Japan thread! You can use the search feature to find things within this rambling conversation if that helps you skip the reading. There is a link to a document in the first post that contains some useful (though somewhat dated) information.
Cheers!
B

Welcome to Japan espyusmc. Congrats on your BJCP certification. I am eagerly awaiting the results of my test (Taken September 6th). How long did it take you to get your results back?

A huge thanks to everyone who participated in the Brew Off today in Yokosuka! Freshbret you were a load of help thank you for volunteering!
Great fun and good to see everyone that could make it!

Thanks all. I appreciate the warm welcome. It took 6 months on the nose to receive my first exam results. I took a second exam on 10 May 14, and I'm still awaiting the results. I expect they should be out soon as 10 Nov will be the 6 month mark. I was fortunate this summer, my wife gave me a pass to go to the NHC in Grand Rapids, MI. At the BJCP meeting they mentioned the extreme backlog of exams and a way forward to fix this specific issue; however, because the exam graders are volunteers it was doubtful if any fix would work. I'd expect sometime in March 15 for your results. That being said, I'll let you know when I get mine so you have a better baseline on what is the current wait.

Welcome espyusmc,

Hope you have a good time here. Unfortunately for you most of us are in the Tokyo area. If you ever find yourself in the area let us know.

I was lucky. Just finished a stout 5 min before it happened. I live very close to the epicenter but I'm not sure if any one lives in the same area. At least I'm well supplied

Drink more coffee and do stupid things faster

Been a bit, but glad to hear that the homebrew comp went off without a hitch. I would have loved to go, but unfortunately I was all booked out on that weekend in Tokyo.

Has anyone here heard of Craft Beer Moonlight? Its a little brew pub not far from Noborito station on the Nambu line in Kanagawa. I used to go there in college as the beer was all made on site and cheap. I remember talking to the owner/teacher/brewer (as they do homebrewing lessons there as well) when I bought my kit from him. Turns out he was one of the people pushing for making brewing more accessible and legal here and/or a big part of the Japan Homebrewer's Association. Can't really remember details as that was 3 years ago.
Also, he has an online supply shop. Not the cheapest place, but I figure we could add it to the list.

http://www.nbjapan.co.jp/shouhin/

Today I made a 3 gal batch of Wee Heavy. Hit 1.1011 for my gravity. Hoping to get about 10% ABV out of it, and Ill leave it for at least a month in secondary. I was planning on making a smaller batch of English mild from the sparge, but way overshot my gravity on that, so seems it will be more of a brown ale.

I was lucky. Just finished a stout 5 min before it happened. I live very close to the epicenter but I'm not sure if any one lives in the same area....

Hi Funkychef...

I think it was 6.1 where it hit us... we were just finishing up cleaning, the last step of finally moving out of our former place... so just two ceiling lights were left to "dance the earthquake". Guess we were lucky too.

RE: NB
Yes, he had just started when I visited his tiny office/store years ago.
I recall his being excited about getting the restrictions eased, but they were still too tight for me... my thought was he was perhaps more businessman and dreamer than brewer; and I guess his some of his dreams came true due to his effort. (I still have some of his bottlecaps on my blackberry juice bottles I've haven't got to yet!)

Didn't know about the brew-pub, I've been out of Tokyo for a while now.

BF

Anyone brewing in the Yokosuka area? I'm getting transferred to the naval station there in September and I'm a new but avid home brewer. Are there any clubs in that area of Japan?

Anyone brewing in the Yokosuka area? I'm getting transferred to the naval station there in September and I'm a new but avid home brewer. Are there any clubs in that area of Japan?

Yokosuka is pretty close to Tokyo and one of my friends brews on Base there.

Check out this group on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/409167752562778/

September is still quite a ways away!

Yokosuka is pretty close to Tokyo and one of my friends brews on Base there.

Check out this group on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/409167752562778/

September is still quite a ways away!

It is. I'm fairly new to homebrewing. I'm gathering equipment and kinda need to look ahead a bit. For example, I just purchased a new burner, Does japan use the same style of Propane tanks we get in the states, is there an adapter for it, or did I just buy a reason to have a garage sale before I leave? I just purchased a temp controller that works with both 50/60 hz. I'm curious how my mini fridge will work with the power there. And finally, I'm used to using Idophore. Should I start stocking up now and have it shipped over with my house hold goods? I hear getting it there is tricky.

Once i'm in the area, I'm going to hook up with you guys. Within reason, I may be able to stash a few items in my HHG shipment from the states as well.

Thanks for the link to the site.

Steve

It is. I'm fairly new to homebrewing. I'm gathering equipment and kinda need to look ahead a bit. For example, I just purchased a new burner, Does japan use the same style of Propane tanks we get in the states, is there an adapter for it, or did I just buy a reason to have a garage sale before I leave? I just purchased a temp controller that works with both 50/60 hz. I'm curious how my mini fridge will work with the power there. And finally, I'm used to using Idophore. Should I start stocking up now and have it shipped over with my house hold goods? I hear getting it there is tricky.

Once i'm in the area, I'm going to hook up with you guys. Within reason, I may be able to stash a few items in my HHG shipment from the states as well.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I cannot readily answer your questions as I built up all of my Homebrewing equipment here in Japan. Definitely ask in the facebook group. A lot of people there have the same experience as your are going to have and will be able to set you on the right track.

Cheers,

Also Steve

Hi harlesj
When you get here come on over to Nawlins BBQ House (it is a few blocks from the US Navy base in Yokosuka) and say hi! We have the most craft beer on tap in Yokosuka and several homebrewers in the area meet there occasionaly. We have had a couple of meetups, but there are still several homebrewers who I meet as customers that are not connected to other homebrewers in the area. You might be able to form a club but keep in mind that anything over 1% ABV is illegal to brew in Japan so it might be better not to advertise it a lot.

For the price and BTU output of the propane burners you are probably better bringing the one you have. You will likely have to get your propane on base though. I don't know of any non-US-military people brewing in Japan with propane, I don't think its as simple as going to the gas station for a refill for us civilians. There are plenty of gas burners available here though they are usually in the form of restaurant quality cast-iron and are priced higher. If you are planning to live off-base then that might be worth considering.

Steve

Steve

Steve,

The Yokosuka Yeast Ranchers is a homebrew club a little closer to Yokosuka...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/408061819264313/

Steve

Im pretty sure you can get idophor here at one of the online brew stores. Most the guys I know use starsan, which is not so available. Your fridge and controller will be fine. As for propane adaptor, you might check with the Okinawa brewers on Facebook. I know they figured out a work around for their US co2 tank fittings. Most of us in Kansai just just J fittings for the convenience on co2.

Hi all ! I' m new on this forum and I'm glad to have found this post . I live Totsuka station in Yokohama city .
I write today to ask if someone knows where to buy cheap or second hand Cornelius keg . As space at home become critical and I don't want to stock glass bottle anymore I will probably shift to keg system . Please let me know . thanks you in advance !

Hi all ! I' m new on this forum and I'm glad to have found this post . I live Totsuka station in Yokohama city .
I write today to ask if someone knows where to buy cheap or second hand Cornelius keg . As space at home become critical and I don't want to stock glass bottle anymore I will probably shift to keg system . Please let me know . thanks you in advance !

You will occasionally see them on Yahoo auction. You can check with some liquor stores as well and see if they have the older style chuuhai kegs. Those are cornies without a pressure relief valve. I have some of those and I simply updated the lids with a purchase from Aliexpress for a couple of thousand yen.

Anybody going to the Japan Brewers Cup this Saturday?
Cheers, 12oz

Currently on tap: Diamond Knot IPA
"Left Hand Path" Swedish Lympa

How many Kegs are you looking for. I have some extra I could sell you.

Hi all ! Thanks for your messages ! # tektonjp : I had a look since your message but no much keg at the moment ... Will check sometimes ;) #CB_in_Tokyo : thanks for your proposition! at list I would start with 2 or 3 but let me first find a way to refrigerate ;) will come back to you later .
Cheers !

Hello everyone,

I have a friend that is interested in home brewing but I am unsure of the actual Japanese law regarding this. I have read a little about it on here and on the internet, but all the information was from English sources since I cannot read Japanese. What I am looking for is someone that might have done this research themselves or might know where my buddy can go to get this information. Basically he is looking for the cans and cannots when it comes to home brewing in Japan. He is Japanese so if the information is in Japanese he can read it. The only restrictions that I know of is you cannot sell the home brew and it can not exceed 1% ABV, which is a real downer for him. Maybe there is a license he can get to be allowed to make over 1% ABV. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

-John-

Hello everyone,

I have a friend that is interested in home brewing but I am unsure of the actual Japanese law regarding this. I have read a little about it on here and on the internet, but all the information was from English sources since I cannot read Japanese. What I am looking for is someone that might have done this research themselves or might know where my buddy can go to get this information. Basically he is looking for the cans and cannots when it comes to home brewing in Japan. He is Japanese so if the information is in Japanese he can read it. The only restrictions that I know of is you cannot sell the home brew and it can not exceed 1% ABV, which is a real downer for him. Maybe there is a license he can get to be allowed to make over 1% ABV. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

-John-

The two points you mentioned pretty well sum up the law. The community experience here is that as long as you don't sell it and aren't too flagrant about your brewing (annoy your neighbors, for example), the authorities (tax department) is bothered by it. They understand the occasional production mishap of going over 1% alcohol. Turns out, all my batches are mishaps!

Seriously, even the online HBS here in Japan include notes on the end of the recipe kit on how to add more water to your brew to make it legal, if you want to.

All of the Japanese homebrewers I know are not concerned in the least with these constrictions. No one I know has even done jail time. I have heard of one or two incidents of police coming and asking someone not to brew any more because of the smell. That's all.

Thank you for the information. Hopefully this will put his mind at easy and he will start to brew. Every time my wife and I go visit him we always leave him at least a six pack of various home brews and he is amazed that I make it at home. The last couple of visits he has really started showing interest in doing some of his own home brewing. So, the next visit my wife and I make to him we plan on brewing a batch with him to show him how to do it. Thanks again and hope everyone has had a great start to the new year.

-John-

Just found out that I might be transferring to Sasebo later this year. I have an electric all grain setup that I might sell off for a BIAC 3 in 1 to conserve space. For those stationed there/living in the Sasebo area, would this be a wise choice? I haven't had a chance to read through this yet as I just found out 5 hours ago that I will be going there. First stop was HBT to see what I am getting myself into!

Latest posts

Back