First Year Growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noreaster40s

Reaction score
Just for the heck of it I planted 3 different varieties. Since I didn't have a specific spot selected and this is the first time trying it, I just planted them near our basketball hoop that doesn't get used anymore and also near a building. I staked them all out and ran twine up as far as I could which is only about 12 feet or so. Some are doing better than others and if they do well enough I'm planning on transplanting them to a better set-up next year.

In the mean time, what's going to happen if/when they reach the top of the twine I put up? Do they just keep growing and then start hanging back down? Also some of the bines have shoots growing off the side that are looking like they want to join the main bines. I guess I'll just let them be after reading elsewhere on this forum to just let them go, at least for the first year.

I'm not too worried about it but it sure is interesting how they're growing. Already looking to do something more permanent next year.

This is the first year i grow hops as well. I was advised to leave the off shoots alone being that it is the first year, you need the most energy for root growth. I have also read almost every thread i could about growing hops and remember someone saying that once the hop reaches the end of the twine it will continue to grow up until it can no longer support itself, at which point it will start growing back down on itself.

Im really hoping i get something out of my first years. My chinook has gone mad! It is about 12 ft high! how are yours doing? I feed mine compost tea with grass clippings and they seem to love it. Im growing in texas it gets very hot so i water daily and have not had a problem.

Back