Suggestions for Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
I'm looking to make the switch from dry to liquid yeast, but i want to pick a strain that I can use fairly consistently so I can experiment more with the other types of ingredients first. I mostly make english style ales (bitters, browns, and porters) and irish reds.

Anyone have any suggestions for a liquid yeast that would work well across this spectrum of brews?

There is the ever popular White Labs 001 or Wyeast 1056 which are clean and neutral and can be used for just about anything. Other possible ones from White Labs would be:
002 English Ale
004 Irish Ale
005 British Ale
007 Dry English Ale
008 East Coast Ale
013 London Ale
023 Burton Ale
051 California V

All of these would be good for english style ales.

The dry yeast selection is pretty decent now too. Nottingham is a great british strain, Safale has a pretty unique smattering of yeast types and they offer US-56, which is a dry version very, very similar to white labs 001 and wyeast 1056. If you wanted to try chico ale, you could opt for US-56. I use liquids a lot, but have just started re-using the dry yeasts that are out there. Very convenient, and a little cheaper if thats an issue.

That being said, I agree with the gallery thus far, any british strain (especially since you brew british styles), chico ale is pretty clean, those would be my first choice from either of the major vendors (while labs or wyeast). If you do anything where the yeast is HUGE in the flavor profile i.e. hefes or belgians, then its a whole different story. Hope it helps, though I'm sure it won't

Back