Sizzling keg, am I scorching my wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95747brewer

Reaction score
I have a converted keg fired by the round bayou classic, sp10, and have noticed when i am trying to get to a boil i hear sizzling if I dont stir it constantly. I turn the heat off before I add my extract and stir like a mad man for several minutes, but as soon as I turn the heat back on and stop stirring the sizzling sound starts up again. I also have the burner turned down pretty low, to the point where it takes a long time to get my 5 gallon batch up to boil temp. Is this just the acoustics of the keg? Thanks in advance for any help.

Do you have burn spots on the bottom of your keggle when you empty it to your fermentor? By burn spots, I mean you should have crusted wort stuck to the bottom of the keggle that are hard to clean off. If not...you're not scorching your wort.

No, I dont have burn spots, just a light almost film of clear residue. Thanks that makes me feel better to know. And no I dont have any spigots on my boil kettle either, the only thing Ive done is cut the top off so no leaks either. Thanks for the answers.

Are you sure it's "sizzling"?

On the way from cold to boiling, you can reach a state of nucleate boiling, where small vapor bubbles form on the bottom surface of the kettle, detach, and then collapse. There's a distinct sound associated with it on my rig, and I suppose you could think of it as a sizzling noise.

Like others have said: No crust on the kettle = no scorching.

What you're hearing is the water boiling out of the bottom rim of the keg. I hear it all the time when I've started my boil.

I would say it is water boiling out of the bottom ring. Do some looking on the forum, you might drill some 1/8" holes for draining if it does not have them already. I could be wrong but I think Yuri has a video posted of a keg without a vent and too much heat.

My keg does have the weep holes already, I've heard they can be explosive otherwise. I just brewed another batch last night and listened the whole time. The sizzling sound was there even before I added the extract, although it did get significantly louder once I added it. Still no issues with anything burnt on the bottom though, and the beer always tastes great so I guess RDWHAHB is in order.

Yeah, I have the same setup as you, except with the SQ-14.

I hear that sound too, and haven't figured out what it is. My wort isn't getting scorched though. I've made some pretty light/pale beers and didn't seem to get any problems.

Never turn on your burner before you put the wort in, even 5 seconds before. I did scorch it that time. :) Those burners can heat up stuff pretty quick.

Thanks guys for all the responses. I had stopped worrying about it and never ended up having any problems, but have since gone all grain. I cant believe how easy the transition actually was.

Back