Wheat Beer - How Young?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I keep reading about how wheat beer should be drank young.

How young? I have even seen that it "goes downhill after a month".

I plan on two weeks in the primary, two weeks in the secondary (with the last few days in the fridge for crash cooling), then into the keg.

Does that sound right? This is my first wheat beer, it is a cherry wheat from Midwest.

You could do 3 weeks in primary and then straight to keg. I do 2 in primary and 1 in secondary, but that's just because I need the primary for the next one.

No reason to secondary a wheat. Secondary is only if you want to bulk age, clear, dry hop, oak etc. I'd do 2-3 weeks in the primary the straight to the keg.

+1 what everyone else said then. 2 weeks fermenting then keg it. Crash cooling will just draw out some of those tasty weizen flavors you paid good money for.

+1 what everyone else said then. 2 weeks fermenting then keg it. Crash cooling will just draw out some of those tasty weizen flavors you paid good money for.

Oh good advice. I was just thinking of crash cooling my weissbier this weekend. I think I'll not do that now.

If you're kegging, I'd rack into the keg 2-3 days after you hit your target FG. I have gone from grain to glass with hefeweizen in 7 days before...

I do about 2 weeks in the primary and 3-5 days in the secondary to clear.

I rack some yeast into the bottling bucket/keg, but only enough to get the brew (slightly) cloudy again...:D It makes for a cleaner taste.

Then another 2 weeks in the bottle before drinking. :mug:

Cool.

I will leave it in the pail and keg it next weekend.

That will help with a scheduling bottleneck anyway. I have a Dos Equis Amber lager clone that can go into that Better Bottle a week sooner.

:D

Back