Have you made good beer with a Corona mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what is the capacity of corona mill? how many pounds/minute can I get if I run it manually?
On capacity, I'd estimate a pound or two of grain. I've heard of people using road cones to increase the capacity though. As far as the rate if you're going manually, that depends mostly on you. Attaching a drill helps.

I use one and like it. Yes it takes a while to grind 10 to 12 pounds, but 15 minutes of exercise isn't that bad.
I get a good grind, and good efficiency, and I didn't spend a small fortune.

Have I made good beer with a corona mill? Yes.

Better question would be "did I get reasonable, repeatable efficiency?

Not yet, as my first grind was hardly any flour and the second was way better grind. I expect the third will match the second, however. Both were better efficiency that the store grind, however. So now I can buy in bulk. Isn't saving money and controlling efficiency the whole point of grinding your own?

Another question would be "do I get a stuck sparge?" Not with infusion mashes with batch sparging. The husks are maybe not as good without conditioning as a roller mill, but it doesn't seem to matter much for batch sparging.

BTW, mine is motorized(drill) and in a pail, so no dust and a faster grind than I can fill. The other threads, like Revvy has linked, will share the fiddling sometimes necessary to get them too work good. I almost gave up, but now things are great and my beer is much better (but more for other reasons than the Corona:mug:).

Rich

I have a Corona and I'm happy with it. I have nothing to compare it to, though, since I'm new in the game and have only seven batches under my belt.

I batch sparge in a cooler with a bazooka screen.

On my last three batches I've had 83, 81 and 81% efficiency into the boiler.
It was less in the first brews but I can't blame that on the crush. I crush fine, lots of flour, and no stuck sparges or bad taste.

I tried to attach the drill last time I brewed, but I couldn't find the right size bolt in the garage. Anyone know the tread size?

beefeater

Quoting myself from over a year ago..

Yesterday I brewed batch #38, still with the same Corona mill (haven't tried any other mills). My efficciencies are still 80+ on 1.060ish beers. More on lower gravity and less on higher, but still high and consistent.
I now use a my drill on it (don't remember the tread on the bolt..) and chewing through the grains for a batch is done in two to three minutes.

The Corona is great and next time I put more money into brewing stuff it will not be a new mill!

Latest posts

Back