Playing w/the tank valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discooby

Reaction score
I’ve got a leak somewhere in my keg (co2) system and haven’t had time to find it; instead I’ve just turned the tank valve on and off (see pic) after gassing up the kegs before pours. The tank is only 2 years old (still a baby) and I’ve had it filled about 5 times; so far no problems (w/the tank).

tank_valve.jpg

Two days ago I went to the welding / gas shop to get it refilled and there was a massive leak where the tank valve screws into the aluminum tank (5# tank). Long story short, the guy went out, filled it, left it outside, I paid, went out and noticed the loud “SHSHSHS” sound, called him over, he checked it out, said it needed servicing (which they do not do) and basically “too-bad-so-sad”. By the time I got home the tank was just about empty and I was out $14.

Yesterday I took it to get serviced (thinking it was gonna cost me$$$) and today it was ready. I picked it up and was only charged $3.45 much to my delight! Apparently, the tank valve had come ever so slightly loose, so slightly that it wasn’t noticeable - not even to the guy at the welding shop filling it up - and when he filled it up (as explained to me by the servicing company) the O-ring (or pressure seal) inside basically mushroomed out and deformed preventing a good seal. I went back to the welding shop and they actually gave me a free refill which made my day. :ban:

I’m wondering if by constantly opening and closing the tank valve I inadvertently loosened (or slightly unscrewed) the valve (yoke?) connection to the tank? I’m thinking turning the valve open and closed shouldn’t loosen the valve from the cylinder; I usually grab the bottom of the valve (not the tank) when doing so. Anyone else have a similar case study?

Back