Keeping Track of Cost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Do any of the brew softwares keep track of what each ingredient costs & what a batch total is? Just curious... I guess I could just do a spread sheet, but I'm lazy... ;)

Not that I've seen but I've thought that'd be a nice field to add to Promash etc. so a recipe could be estimated by a push of a button.

I keep track of all my finances in Quicken and have a separate category to track beer ingredients and equipment. A quick report says that since I started this in Jan/05 I'm at $1397 for equipment and $1064 for ingredients.

I always filter that section out when me and SWMBO are having at it about expenses. :eek:

desertBrew said:
I always filter that section out when me and SWMBO are having at it about expenses. :eek:

Yeah, well around here she does all the finances so It's pretty much in the open. The good thing is that she doesn't seem to mind. Actually she's pretty into it too, she actually suggested purchasing more equipment since we just brewed 20 gallons for a party that we have every year... nice!

The funny thing about how much I spend on brewing is that it never changes:

It's both way too much, and not enough, at the same time. :D

Evan! said:
The funny thing about how much I spend on brewing is that it never changes:

It's both way too much, and not enough, at the same time. :D

So true, my friend. So very true. But it really is just a she said he said thing. :D

Oh... and I just use a spreadsheet. It calculates everything for me just fine.

beertools online will give you a cost per batch - when i wasn't buying in bulk i found it fairly accurate

Rather than try to keep track of each price, SWMBO and I assume every trip to the LHBS will cost 46 to 50 bucks to brew 10 gallons.

It does not actually cost that much for ingrediants, but with Idophor, DME for starters priming tabs, bungs, bottle caps and a thousand other indispensible items one needs, it seems to always cost 46 to 50 bucks.

Since we brew about 200 gallons a year, it makes for some easy math.

Cheers,

knewshound

I don't keep track of costs. Some guys have a $40,000 boat sitting in the drive way that only gets used 6 month a year. Compared to what I spend on brewing It just compare!:mug:

I am under $19 a 5 gallon batch now doing all grain. I have about $400 in equipment or so. Ebay, garage sales and having someone able to get me a CO2 tank cheap helped out alot. Next will be a grain mill and bulk grains to lower my per batch cost.

Back