Hi my name is aaron, and I am a brewaholic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addicted?

• YES!

• no

• I can quit any time!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well I dont have the slightest idea on how to brew and haven't bought a kit yet but every time I open up internet explorer for some reason I immediately go to this forum and start reading. Then I'll as I read I find myself saying "I want that and that and that and maybe that" I feel like I'm headed in the right direction. Soon enough I hope to as great as you guys.

Oh and the kit is coming next week

Well I dont have the slightest idea on how to brew and haven't bought a kit yet but every time I open up internet explorer for some reason I immediately go to this forum and start reading. Then I'll as I read I find myself saying "I want that and that and that and maybe that" I feel like I'm headed in the right direction. Soon enough I hope to as great as you guys.

Already a brew-a-holic before the first kit!! :eek:

I'm definitely a brewaholic. I'm 5000 miles from home on a TDY with no way to brew, but I keep buying equipment so it will be waiting for me when I get home. My SWMBO keeps coming home to find boxes of stuff I've bought. I think she found 5 boxes this week alone. She's basically told me to quit buying stuff, because there's no more room to put it. Sadly I keep reading these forums and saying "Hey, that looks like a fun project," or "I really need that cool piece of equipment," or "these recipes look tasty." The worst part is every time I invest money in new equipment I feel I have to justify the purchase by brewing more beer, so I don't feel like I just wasted money. I think I have 50recipes I've e-mailed myself, so I can brew them when I get home. I'm thinking I will need to have a huge beach party this summer with all of the beer I plan to brew.

Oh and the kit is coming next week

welcome to the sickness! Start cutting back your spending on other things in your life so you can support your life choice! And always remember RDWHAHB or two or three!

The true sign of obsession is when you fire the kettles before the sun even rises, so you can have the yeast pitched before starting your work day. Not that I've ever done this. :D

Or when you have two stirplates going at the same time.

Ha!
I had the two starters going last week for last weekend's partigyle.

This from a man that wants me to check out his rolling kegerator. And I need help, it's not like I have a brew shack. (yet)

Hey, just because having three kegerators might make me a kegeratoraholic...doesn't mean I'm also a brewaholic.

Then again...somebody better have a brewing problem to keep those 10 taps a flowin...:D

I wanted to chill on the beer brewing for a little bit and try some wines and meads.

So, after bottling a 2.5 gallon batch of apfelwein, I made 2.5 gallons of mead. Then I decided I wanted to make more apfelwein and didn't want to wait for the mead to finish, so I bought another 2 gallon carboy for apfelwein.

Then I decided I wanted to try two 1-gallon batches of wine. But then realized I'd need something to rack them into eventually, so I bought a few more 1-gallon jugs.

now, I have a 2.5 gallon batch of apfelwein going, a 2.5 gallon batch of mead going, 1-gallon of blackberry wine, 1-gallon of white grape/raspberry wine, 1-gallonw of JAOM, 1-gallon of traditional mead, and 1-gallon of Joe's Quick Grape Mead. and I still don't have an extra 1-gallon jug to rack into, and I'm scared to buy more because I have some D-47, Montrachet, and EC-1118 in the fridge and a bunch of honey on hand.

Oh crap, I need to bottle that batch of beer I made 4 weeks ago!

My name's Dave, I'm a brewaholic.

I suppose you could say I was addicted before I brewed a single batch. I started on the 24th of January, 2009. I had not brewed a drop before that. I started with a 10gal AG batch and since then have built a single tier rig (which turned out sweet as hell BTW), went right to kegging, collected more fermenting vessels than i have room for, brewed at least once a week, and yesterday ordered 3 more AG kits, all to be brewed in the next week, have plans to start my keezer conversion and am working on plans for a home pub that will be built with serving my homebrews in mind. I look at homebrew supply catalogs like a 14 yo looks at Penthouse. Yeah, I might have a problem.

you know it gets bad when every time you spend money on other things you think "dang, that could have bought me some more ........" :(. Just don't tell your swmbo that after you take her out to dinner.

...and you can't wait for the kids to go to college so you have more free time to brew!

I hid 1 six pack away to drink every once in awhile to see how it ages. I will for sure have a gathering once i have a few beers to try!

I do exactly the same thing. I usually try to take the family to the beach in the summer time and a few friends come along just for fun. I'm planning on taking a "sampler case" (or two or three) along. By the time we go in July, I will have home brew as old as last August and a sample per month since then. Niiiice and aged.

I usually bring a few home brews to co-workers for sampling and critique. I also share with friends who come and cook out on the weekends and some of them trade brews back to me. Outside of those, I usually consume the remainder of a single batch inside of a month. Since I brew once a month I have a constant supply! I would easily bre more often if the cash flow allowed. The whole process is therapy...

I think about brewing more often than I think about sex.....FAR more often...

-Tripod

Brewed 3 times this weekend and just went to the store to see if i can fit a 4th. But in my defense, my spring break will end tomorrow, the cellar was empty, and the husband was pleading for beer. But This summer the show begins.:rockin:

I knew I was already very into homebrewing (I'm just getting started too), but just realized I was addicted and told my girlfriend and she was like "you just now realized that?". Hah. She loves good beer (dark beer too!) and me brewing and helping with it. Anyway, I have formulated a handful of recipes in BeerSmith that I plan to brew, and thought about going to get a bunch of fermenters so I could brew them all soon, then it clicked that it was becoming more than a hobby. At least it's a good addiction :mug:

I voted that "I can quit anytime" and I am in denial!

What else would you call a person that yeast farms, buys grain and hops in bulk, buys a 205 amp welder so he can build a brew cart, planed the garage in his new house around brewing and has to consign all the clothes in his closet to one end to make room for more grain and equipment. Oh, and did I mention that the first thing planted in my garden was hops and that I am often seen in the company of people such as EdWort?:D

My wife says to me the other day, "All you talk about is brewing!" Uh, yeah? Well, granted, I had a friend over who had done some brewing over the past few years, but hasn't in a while. We did an AG brew for the first time and he's talking about gettign some more stuff and brewing again.

We just had a bunch of beer stuff to talk about! Plus, while sick I poured over Northern brewer catalog and made lists of things I need to buy and make and wonder how I'm going to do all of that brewing in the coming weeks.

But, it's just one of many hobbies for me. This summer I will probably obsess about my Mustang and (hopefully) have the tough choice of brewing or working on her. (Plus camping with the family and the usual get-togethers with friends and family.. oh crap...)

Dont get me wrong, i enjoy brewing, I love the fine taste of the beer i can make, i like how much money i save over if i would have to buy all the beer i drink from a store (where i live the tax over any alcohol beverages are horrible so yes home brewing in it's reasonably minimalistic form can be a huge saving).

But all the cleaning it involves is not something i could get overenthusiastic about, after all, brewing is time consuming and energy consuming like any other job or hobby.

There are two parts i like about it, elaborating my own recipes and brewing the worth, then the drinking part.

All the waiting and sanitizing is not something i do enjoy.

So all in all, i mostly do it for the advantages i get out of it, great beer taste and low costs.

I also keep my equipment minimal and do not wish to go sophisticated about it.

I voted that "I can quit anytime" and I am in denial!

What else would you call a person that yeast farms, buys grain and hops in bulk, buys a 205 amp welder so he can build a brew cart, planed the garage in his new house around brewing and has to consign all the clothes in his closet to one end to make room for more grain and equipment. Oh, and did I mention that the first thing planted in my garden was hops and that I am often seen in the company of people such as EdWort?:D

Uhm.. <looks down at feet> I too bought a welder in order to make a brew stand. I also planted hops. But I don't yeast farm so I can't be a brewaholic! Really.

D-Ring said:
Now I can tell SWMBO that I'm not the only crazy brewer out there. She told me having a primary and secondary going at the same time is a little over-kill. I just remained silent while my brain screamed "HAH"

Hi I'm ButcherBoy and I'm a brewaholic.

I solved this situation at my brewery, err I mean my house, I don't secondary... beer. Four primary buckets for beer, two more for wine along with three carboys to use for wine.

My pasta mill broke on my last brew day so I ordered a Crankandstein 3D, but it won't be till the end of the month. :( Not all bad, it's given me time to try some mead and get more wine together. Working on re- organizing the brewery, putting a ferm chamber together, looking for cornies to start a kegerator project. My wife just smiles and tolerates my addiction, as long as I don't brew every weekend. It never ends, and no I'm not interested in a 12 step program.

Hi, I'm Nachotime and I'm a brewaholic.

I spent most of my time lurking on a site dedicated to brewing beer. I've brewed 27.5 gal of beer since the beginning of the year - and three fermentors at a time doesn't seem like enough. I have a baby due in 7 weeks and I'm worried that I'll my brewing will suffer unless I just start cranking out extract brews.

I can't stop thinking about brewing. I can't stop coming up with newer and faster ways to chill my wort. I love improving my process.

My name is Nachotime and I'm a brewholic. Thank you for letting me share.

Back