Apple Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex_wilkosz

Reaction score
im looking for a good apple beer. preferably with a cinnamon touch, but not a cider. anyone have a 5 gallon extract recipe?

I thought about doing an apple Abbey-style Tripel. But I don't know how you'd retain the apple taste. It would probably just dry out the beer.

About two years ago (when I first got into brewing), I made 2 batches of apple ales. Both were mostly extract (I just made the switch to all-grain). The first batch incorporated apple flavor in the mash instead of in the secondary (again...I had just learned how to brew). The second used artificial flavor. The second one actually turned out better.

I hope this helps.

Batch 1: Using Fresh Apples in the mash
.5 lb 60 L Crystal Malt
"3.5 lb English light syrup
3.5 lb Canadian light syrup
6 large Granny Smith Apples added to boil when grain was added to teem.
2 large Granny Smith Apples added after grains removed, but before sugar & hops
1 lb Corn Sugar
2 lb Honey"
"2 oz Liberty (bittering)
.5 oz Hallertauer (flavor)
.5 oz Hallertauer (aroma)
.5 oz Hallertauer (dry)"
1 packet Nottingham dry yeast
1-1/2 teaspoons of Nutmeg added to carboy
2 teaspoons of cinnamon added to carboy"

Batch 2: Artificial Apple Flavor
1/4 lb Carawheat, 1/4 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt, 1/4 lb Briess Caramel 120 L Malt
"4 Granny Smith Apples
5 lb Canadian Malt Syrup
1 lb Corn Sugar
1 lb Dark Brown Sugar"
"1 oz Hallertau hop pellet (Bittering)
1 oz Mt Hoot hop pellet (flavor)"
Saflager S-23
"1- 4 oz bottle of artificial apple wine flavoring added in carboy
5 cinnamon sticks added to carboy
2 teaspoons nutmeg added to carboy
1 teaspoon allspice added to carboy"

I actually just made a batch along the more traditional fruit-beer lines. Basically just made a caramel-malty base beer and added 5lb of fresh apples to the secondary, if you're interested in that recipe. No cider, no partial cider, no spices, nothing but apples.

I contemplated adding some spices, but already having a pumpkin beer on tap, i wanted to see how the straight-up apples did with the base recipe. Let me know if THIS is something you're looking for and i'll kick you the numbers.

Looking back, I wish I would have done that...but I was worried that adding fresh fruit would potentially contaminate the beer.

But was also my 3rd batch or so....before I learned of HBT and how to really brew beer.

Anyone know how Unibroue makes Ephemere? That's how I would want an apple beer to come out if I made one.

For anyone interested, here's the info on the batch i described above:

Batch Size: 4.75 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 13.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item % or IBU
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 68.23 %
1 lbs 9.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) 13.65 %
1 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) 8.53 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) 4.26 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) 4.26 %
2.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) 1.07%
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.40 %] (75 min) 21.7 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (1 min) 0.3 IBU
5.00 lb Apples - Gala (added to secondary)
Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084)

What if I put several pounds of pedaled barley maybe a pound of unmalted wheat with about 8 or 9 apples with seeds and stems removed thrown in brew in a bag bag mash her at 144 for half an hour 152 for about 2 hours then sparge the bag good boil down the "Apple wort " to a gallon add a few grams of light hops maybe some of liberty hops just for a tiny 1 gallon batch to see how it comes out do you think the amylase in the apples will work not only on the apples but also the none malted barley(i rarely go to the homebrew store and if I'm about to buy up malt grains I'm using them for good beers not experiments but I can get pearl barley up the road at the grocery store and I use it in cholent pretty often

Back