Clarity vs. style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinnyShamrock

Reaction score
This is my first mead, and I was fielding questions from my roommates who I split the cost of my mead with (and thus split the batch with). As far as clarity goes, that's mostly a style thing, right? Very technically you can drink it once fermentation is done, just like beer? I'm only wondering because my roommates are really impatient haha. They want to drink it by December, and I just racked to the secondary today. It's pretty damn clear already, just some suspended yeast as far as I can tell.

Oh, and it tastes awesome. I recommend the Lavlin EC-1118. I got mine from Austin Homebrew...fermented from ~1.125 to 1.004 in three and a half weeks! Actually a little drier than I wanted it, but the mead is still plenty sweet.

Yes, clarity is simply a matter of aesthetics. It's really just a matter of taking pride in the beverage you make. A cloudy mead is generally a young mead and is not at its best. It's your mead though and if it tastes good to you then go ahead and drink it - there's no harm.

Back