Let hear how your weekend brewing ended up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a 3 gal BIAB Stone Ruination clone Friday and came to realize midway through mash that my thermometer's "mercury" had split and the mash was about 10 degrees higher than originally thought. Glad that happened though because on Sat a buddy and I brewed up a Rye IPA and a saison, and those were the beers I wanted to make sure we got right. Great time was had, brewing, moderate drinking, grilled burgers, kids running around...my idea of real fun. Fermenters now bubbling away and smelling SWEEEEET. :) Hope that Stone IPA turns out OK. US-05 ripped through it in 3 days it would appear based on airlock anyway.

I brewed my PM NZ IPA last Sunday,& the brewday went off like clockwork. I just wish I'd have had the spigot on the ale pail cleaned & sanitized already by then. The BK/MT was in the ice bath at that same time. So by th time I got done & sanitized the FV,the wort was down to 60F,about 3.5G worth. So I strained it into the FV to get the gunk settled out by the super moss seperated. Some left in brew kettle,maybe 2C worth all together.
By the time I topped it off with cold spring water,the temp was down below the 64F on the bottom of the temp strip. I pitched the US-05 anyway.
I took until monday to get it warmed up to 64F again,so I swirled it & changed to an airlock filled with cheap vodka. It's bubbling Steadilly even yet,a lot like the German ale/kolsh yeast did on the last two batches.
But the temp is up to 75F,the high end of US-05's ideal temp range. Which is 59-75F according to midwest's site. And I have gotten clean tasting beer after the temp going that high before. so it's all good. But the airlock wiffs are still sweet smelling.
English pale & marris otter malts among others. I also had to add 1lb of demerara sugar to get the OG up into American IPA range according to BS2.
I didn't have anymore DME & the car exhaust was fubared,so demerara was brought to bare. I've been wanting to use a pound in a batch anyway,as it has a light brown sugar laced with honey kind of flavor to it. It also gives a slight bit of color,not unlike the usual orange amber pale ale colors. Fermenting as strongly as it is,it should turn out fine.

Brewed a honey-malt Kolsch recipe of my own for the first time. Expected 72% efficiency, got something like 85%, so despite underboiling and having an extra gallon of wort, my OG was spot on. This means my hops' and specialty grains' effects will be diluted, but in a Kolsch I'm hoping it'll all work out.

The yeast is taking its sweet time. It's working, but one of the least energetic fermentations I've had in a long while...

-Rich

Brewed a IIPA with an IBU of 118 and got 90% efficiency

nice, with that high of a IBU, you can almost pass the brewing and just put the hops right in your mouth, btw dont try that, they dont taste very good off the vine... :cross:

and nice Eff...

For the Big Brew weekend i made My Honey Basil Ale, this year i added a bit of lemon zest.

Smells Ohhh so good,

Got my Eff of 89.8% before i added the honey. i finished out at 1.066

MMmmm a summer beer to say the least...

well i brewed 20 gal this weekend

i did 10 gal of a Kolsch on Saturday. 81.9% eff
and
did 10 gal of a Shocktop on Sunday. 82.8% eff

all i have to say is that's a lot of cleaning to do..

the Kolsch is in the ferm chamber and the shocktop is sitting next to the ferm chamber. MMmmm not thinking proximity to the ferm chamber is helping

also learned what Decoct means (lucky ME!!) right before i messed up the Kolsch. you know you're going along and something doesn't feel right, its right there i stopped and decided to look it up..

Decoct doesn't mean add boiling water to the mash, it means boil X amount of the mash in a separate pot.... then add back to the mash !!!!!

now i just need the sun to come out.
CR-

It was a good weekend. Bottled my Maori IPA Saturday,brewed one of two PM Berlin Wheats Sunday with WY3056 bavarian wheat blen activator packs.
Cleaned up the brewhause today. whew,tired & sore. but my dark hybrid lager will make it all better while I watch the airlock...:mug:

Productive weekend- got the cold box 100% built and brewed an ESB and Ordinary Bitter (experimental batches) which have the same grist by %, but in different weights. We'll see which one makes the better beer and tweak the other.

Weekend went well. Brewed 1 gallon of a strawberry blond and 5 gallons of a smokin hot blond. Should be two very nice beers.

Latest posts

Back