Orange peel for Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sendkyleanemail

Reaction score
Third thread about the same beer, and I haven't even brewed it yet!!

Anyway, I haven't been able to find the "bitter" or "sweet" orange peel that I see online and in LHBS in any other stores, but my local slice store has dried "California Orange Peel" that appears to have been crushed.

Would an ounce or so of this in the boil be roughly the equivalent of .75 ounce of "bitter" and .75 ounce "sweet" orange peel?

in our orange hefe we used two whole fresh orange zests. since fresh is always better. we just put it in the fermentor so we shall see what happens

image-1300920742.jpg

8 hours after pitch

Nice kraussen!
I made wit few days ago and threw .2 oz of dried bitter orange peel at boil out. I just measured the SG and it was spot on 1.012 (OG was 154). I also had a taste. You could catch the aroma of orange, but it was very subtle, as it should be, but I was kind of hoping for more. I didn't add more because I was afraid to get the harsh bitter taste from the dired orange peel. I might double the amount for next time, but .8 oz seems like a lot of orange peel.

Yeah the wort had a very present orange aroma, but I am sure a lot of it will get pushed off by co2. The color was a lot more orange than expected. Def a learning experience! Can't wait to see how it tunes out and maybe make some adjustments and try again.

I typically rehydrate some in a cup or 2 of wort I steal from the boil at 30 min and cool a little bit (although still hot)... Usually any coriander, GoP, or orange peel will get soaked in this and then I pitch this into the BK at flame-out. Yes, some orange aroma is likely lost in fermentation, but I feel this preserves as much as possible short of adding the orange at the end of primary fermentation.

Latest posts

Back