The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and Brian, I want a bottle of the lambic.

you are officially on the list... just got your email.

and yes... as opposed to PTN's desperate attempts at humor, I AM still curing and smoking my own bacon. I just did 13 lbs two weeks ago and brought all of it up to the Homebrew jamboree up in NH. We went through 7 lbs.

It's reeeeeeally tasty. I have been refining my process for a while now as bacon is a close second to beer in my personal book.

I'll slice off a baggy and leave it in the freezer at The Bog for next time you or BJM swing through.

fwiw, Strange Brew over in Marlboro has some kind of "groupon-y" thing going on Amazon. $15 buys you $30 worth of ingredients (or anything else I guess), and there are some newbie deals as well...

Cheers!

Wow - I finally got something useful out of this thread. Thanks day_trippr!

I'm almost glad you started this thread PTN. Though I'm sure you'll respond with something that will make me sad that you started this thread. Ah well, such is life.

you are officially on the list... just got your email.

and yes... as opposed to PTN's desperate attempts at humor, I AM still curing and smoking my own bacon. I just did 13 lbs two weeks ago and brought all of it up to the Homebrew jamboree up in NH. We went through 7 lbs.

It's reeeeeeally tasty. I have been refining my process for a while now as bacon is a close second to beer in my personal book.

I'll slice off a baggy and leave it in the freezer at The Bog for next time you or BJM swing through.

Next time I see you i'll have to pick your brain regarding the process.

Next time I see you i'll have to pick your brain regarding the process.

It's really simple.... Salt, sugar, & pink salt (curing salt)... cover a whole belly with the mixture and seal it in a large ziploc bag. Toss in the fridge for 10-14 days, flipping it every other day or so.

Rinse off... Smoke with whatever you prefer for wood chips.

The big thing I am able to do since my smoker will do it... Is I cold smoke (at 115 degrees) for 14-16 hours. I then smoke another two hours at 275 to bring the internal temp up to 190.

Cool, slice, cook, eat.

It's really simple.... Salt, sugar, & pink salt (curing salt)... cover a whole belly with the mixture and seal it in a large ziploc bag. Toss in the fridge for 10-14 days, flipping it every other day or so.

Rinse off... Smoke with whatever you prefer for wood chips.

The big thing I am able to do since my smoker will do it... Is I cold smoke (at 115 degrees) for 14-16 hours. I then smoke another two hours at 275 to bring the internal temp up to 190.

Cool, slice, cook, eat.

Yeah, I've got cold smoking capabilities.... Just wondering if you had any additional wisdom beyond what the books will tell me.

I like to use molasses, brown sugar and maple surup, the dark stuff. You can add herbs and spices to taste. Rosemary and thyme and garlic add some nice favors.

How do you keep the temp that low?

its-elecrtic4.jpg

you can use dryer vent hose to off set your fire (in your case Paul you could use Bertha as your smoker) the DVH will cool the smoke going into the smoker.
does that make sense?

paulthenurse said:
That was helpful. Thanks Jay.

I think my electric starts at 125*F. and not sure if I even get smoke at that low temp. Doesn't it need to be higher in order to get the wood chips to smoke?

If you start the smoker without the bacon in it, let it start smoking, then add the bacon and turn down the heat that will get you started. Every time you add some chips, open the door and turn up the heat until it starts to so
Joke again, then turn it down. This is if you want something nice and smokey at 100degrees.

paulthenurse said:
So the length of hose and the ambient outside temp regulates the temp in the smoke box, right? (Using Melana's method) do you just use a cardboard box or something more elaborate?

Correct. A garbage can works pretty well. Just might want to use a new one. Grab a couple round grates to go inside.

paulthenurse said:
What do you do about the skin? I've left it on but in not crazy about the strip of hard crunchy skin when it's cooked. I tried skinning the belly but that didn't go so well

Take the skin off and make pork rinds. Just skin it as you would a deer or cow. Light short strokes with a real sharp knife.

Back