My beer is cloudy again.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davel59

Reaction score
I am brewing a basic red ale from a Brewer's Best kit. After a week in the primary fermentor I transferred it to a glass carboy. I noticed when I opened the primary that it had a lot of solids floating around and was very cloudy. It started clearing up in the carboy as expected and all was going well for a few days. I checked it again today after five days in the secondary and now, all of a sudden, there are lots of solids floating around in it again. This is probably about the 8th batch of beer I have made and I haven't had this happen before. Does anyone know why this would happen? If it stays this way, is there a good way to filter it before I bottle it?

What was your gravity going into the secondary? It sounds to me like if you have things moving around in there and you didn't stir it up at all, then your fermentation kicked off again.

If the beer just clouded back up with out a lot of activity (ie particals moving around) it could be a matter of temperature change and a slight haze comeing over the beer.

Either way let it sit for a while and check the gravity on it to see if fermentation is complete, and then let it clear.

Sounds like you roused up some yeast and fermentation is kicking up again. It will probably calm down after a bit - take a gravity reading after a few days and go from there.

If its still cloudy once its all done, you can try cold crashing it, if you have the ability to do so.

The gravity going into the secondary was a bit higher than shown in the brewing instructions, so hopefully it is just more fermentation. I just got back from being out of town for a few days. It's still kind of cloudy, and it looks like there are still some occasional bubbles coming out of the air lock. I guess time will tell.

Back