bitter with age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

businesstime

Reaction score
I have an IIPA that's been in bottles for 10 weeks now (almost 3 months since boil), and it has been quite delicious. However, the last 2 bottles I've had seem a little more bitter. Is it possible that the bottle conditioning is still fermenting more sugar and causing the beer to appear bitter as time goes on? In other words, is there a "sweet spot" for some beers where the longer you let them go the worse they get?

I'm thinking of throwing the rest in the fridge tonight..

I had a Holiday Ale that seemed to peak at about 4 months. It was all but gone by then. I did save 1 bottle for 7 months and it was not as good.

Well, it doesn't keep fermenting so it really isn't more bitter. BUT, as the hops flavor and aroma fades, the bitterness becomes much more noticeable. That's why IPAs are usually better fairly young. The hops nose fades with time, leaving the IPA tasting more bitter with less hops flavor and aroma.

Well, it doesn't keep fermenting so it really isn't more bitter. BUT, as the hops flavor and aroma fades, the bitterness becomes much more noticeable. That's why IPAs are usually better fairly young. The hops nose fades with time, leaving the IPA tasting more bitter with less hops flavor and aroma.

I think in one of the "Jamil Show" podcasts, they mention that flavor/aroma drop off rather quickly, but that bitterness will drop out as well albeit more slowly. So, if you wait even longer, the bitterness may come back "under control" (though you'll end up with not quite an IPA I suppose)

Back