Second All Grain YES!!! But possible yeast prob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
Just did my second all grain a Sierra Nevada clone. All went fairly well. I've deduced that my first all grain beer had a low OG because of the crush. This one used the same manifold sparging etc. But was crushed at my LHBS, they got a new mill to replace the busted one, which caused me to crush my last grain a cup at a time with a rolling pin.

Here was the recipe

OG1.058
FG:1.012
Alcohol:5.9% v/v (4.7% w/w)
Grain:
10 lb. American 2-row
1.5 lb. American Vienna
.75 lb. American crystal 40L
.25 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
Mash:70% efficiency70 minuite infusion mash at 154 degrees F
Boil:60 minutes
Hops:
.25 oz. pERL (6.3% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (5.8% AA, 60 min.)
.25 oz. pERL (6.3% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (5.8% AA, 30 min.)
.25 oz. Cascade (aroma)
Yeast:White Labs California Ale

Every thing hit pretty much right on the money. My og was 1.059 boiled for an hour down to 5.5 gall. The only thing that I think I may have done that was bad was this.
I took the temp of the wort as it was cooling with the chiller in it was around 78 so I poured in the fermenter pitched the yeast and shook it up. Then I took what I had drawn off for a hydro reading and took it's temp and it was like 88 degrees. I'm assuming the temp read lower because I was testing the wort close to the coil of the cooler? Did I kill my yeast was 88 the death knell for my lil guys? I have some dry yeast backup in case? SOMETHING had to go wrong went too smoothly.
[edit]forgot to mention the abient temp in the kitched was about 82 degrees accoording to the kitchen thermometer the vial of yeast was there the whole time coming to room temp so the temp of the wort may have been close to the yeast temp? Could that help?

Answering your own question can be a good thing. Pitching at 88 degrees is not ideal, but it's not enough to kill the yeast, especially if the yeast acclimated to around 80. As long as it doesn't ferment that high you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back