Debit Card Debacle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
Okay, I have to rant/vent!

Last Wednesday night I found out that my checking account was practically wiped out by someone who, somehow was able to get my debit card number. They used it to book flights thru a travel agency in the UK!

I had to go to my bank yesterday morning to get it all sorted out. They were as helpful as they could be, but the process is a pain - much more so than with a credit card. I had to cancel my debit card and file a claim with MasterCard, the debit card issuer, against the unauthorized charges. I'll get 'provisional' money placed into my checking account in the amount they stole while the claim is investigated, but that won't be for another 5-7 business days.

In the meantime, I have to leave my current checking account open until the investigation proceeds, which will be 30-45 days. Yesterday morning I had to open a new checking account, which all deposits, payments, etc., will now come from.

My guess is someone got it through some sort of online ordering or old receipts from a retail store. On the surface, you'd think it was the online ordering, but I only do business with a handful of online businesses that I trust - Southwest Airlines, Waste Management (for my garbage pick up), ComEd (electric utility), Nicor (gas ultility), Freshops (hops for my beer) and, rarely, Paypal for Ebay purchases - that's about it! All of these online vendors I've used for at least two years.

It sucks. :mad:

It is a huge PITA. My sympathies. I pretty much live with all my expenses on my credit card and they get paid off at the end of the month.

Let the credit card companies assume the liability. Thats one of the reasons they charge their 18%, which I never pay by not keeping a balance ;)

That blows! Been there and done that. Mastercard was actually really helpful when it happened to me. Had the whole thing sorted out in about 2 days/ Good luck to you and glad you caught it early!

I would definitely take a good look at your credit report after this. If the jackass was able to get hold of and use your debit card info, you never know if they also got enough info to open a few lines of credit somewhere.

One consolation is, since the idiot purchased airline tickets, the authorities should have no problem linking the purchase to a specific individual.

That suxxorz. Could be worse, if it's any consolation...I've heard some pretty horrific ID Theft tales. Where you got your checking account wiped, these people got their lives wiped. No money, massive debt, dead-zone credit, etc. There are some truly evil bastards in this world.

That's why I only deal with people whom I can trust, like the Nigerian prince I got an e-mail from the other day. All I had to do was give him access to my checking account, and by next week, I should be living the good life. Cuz that's how I roll.

Evan! said:
like the Nigerian prince I got an e-mail from the other day. All I had to do was give him access to my checking account, .

that sounded like a good deal to me too! Except mine was by fax.

Getting your debit card info stolen does suck. It happened to me a few years ago, and I pretty much narrowed it down to a purchase I made at a Barnes and Noble where the cashier had to physically take my card from me. I will no longer use at any place that doesn't have a swiper that I can do myself. While I'm using one of those I have a habit now of placing my thumb over the numbers too. I've heard to many stories of people taking pictures of debit card numbers with their cell phones. I did a lot of research on it afterwards and online purchases actually are usually a bit safer, as long as it is from a bigger company. It's too bad that with smaller companies, it's hard to determine how well they are protected, and I usually stay away.

There is a little chinese food place here that I love to go to, but rarely do any more. I noticed once after paying with my card, that the reciept they kept had my number and expiration date printed on it. I left before it dawned on me, so I have no idea what happened to that reciept. I hope they shredded it.

Thanks everyone! According to MasterCard, the checking account was not compromised, only the debit card. My bank advised me to open a new account anyway, which is probably smart.

I'm going to get a credit report, too, just to be safe. A buddy joined LifeLock a couple days ago - before this happened to me. They've been running ads on the radio here quite a bit. I'll probably do that myself in the next few days.

It's the free local rag with all of the car audio, tanning, stripper ads, breast augmentation and liposuction ads and the true crime, indy music, stories of injustice and far left bs.

In other words, stuff to read in the john.

It's a shame that you could not meet that person that stole your money and identity.

I'm holding back here, but the least I'd do would be rip off their head and **** down their neck.

F'n low lives.

It won't stop until we attach a mandatory 20 year minimum sentence to it (death penalty would probably work better though)

Back