How to decide which hops to grow in Pacific NW?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
Well I finally cleared out some yard space and have room to plant a few hop plants. Probably 2-3....

I mostly brew IPA's, Pale Ales, stouts

Any suggestions on whihc 2 or 3 strains I should grow that will give me the most use?

I live in Seattle area.

Any of the available varieties should grow well, so I'd pick the ones you like to use most often! I've had good luck in Portland with Cascades; my Willamette and Zeus plants are less vigorous but still produce. A friend has Centennials that go crazy.

Cascade (great yield and an "easy grower"). I love my Newport (super disease-proof) and my friend's Nugget grew with almost no attention. Your region is well-suited to a lot of hops. What do you use for brewing now?

I live around Chehalis Wa. I have Mt. Hood, cascade and centenial. They all grow huge and give me way more hops then I would ever use in a year.

I live in vancouver which has a similar rainy climate and I had a lot of problems with aphids. I'd consider swapping out the nugget for northern brewer - its the only one listed with aphid tolerance.

Try planting a small mint patch or two somewhat near your hops, the smell repels aphids.

Back