How to clean/store pH meter? (Phep 5 model)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I bought the Hanna Instruments Phep 5 pH meter (MT604) from B3:
2512.jpg

Link: http://morebeer.com/view_product/18707//pH_Meter_-_Phep_5

Along with the pH storage solution (MT618):
3930.jpg

Link: http://morebeer.com/view_product/18726//pH_Storage_Solution

What isn't clear (and B3 rep wasn't sure when I called) was how exactly to "store" the meter using this storage solution.

The manufacturer instructions that came with the meter say:

"clean the electrode with water store it with a few drops of HI 70300 storage solution in the protective cap. DO NOT USE DISTILLED OR DEIONIZED WATER FOR STORAGE PURPOSES".

The generic 'use and care of a pH meter' instructions at B3 say:

"Your pH electrode should be stored in a solution that is designed to maintain the integrity of the electrode and prevent the electrolyte solution from leeching out. We sell an electrode storage solution under part number MT618".

Inside the bottom cap of the meter is a little built-in cup that holds the probe tip. There's a little sponge on the bottom. Do you simply put a couple of drops of the MT618 storage solution into the sponge per the manufacturer instructions? Or do you completely fill that little cup in the end cap with storage solution to keep the electrode probe tip immersed?

Or something else? I'm assuming you don't remove the probe and stick it in the storage solution after cleaning it after each use?

Thanks!

Kal

Inside the bottom cap of the meter is a little built-in cup that holds the probe tip. There's a little sponge on the bottom. Do you simply put a couple of drops of the MT618 storage solution into the sponge per the manufacturer instructions? Or do you completely fill that little cup in the end cap with storage solution to keep the electrode probe tip immersed?

Yes. Either way.

Rinse the probe tip with distilled and store with the proper solution in the cap. Upright.

I expect the sponge is to aide in keeping the solution in place for those who do not fret about upright storage.

Nor did I out of the box until I grabbed my meter for a use and realized the storage solution had dribbled out of the cap.

I just bought this meter and didn't realize I needed to get the solution as well. Online store here I come.

It is sufficient to put only enough storage solution in the sponge in order to keep the electrode bulb from drying out and that should be fine if you use the meter frequently. If you are likely to be storing it longer I find it good practice to pour quite a bit of solution into the cap and, of course, store it vertically to keep the solution from leaking out. That is not sufficient to keep the potassium chloride from exhibiting "creep". You will find crystals of that on the side of the meter well above the cap after a fairly short time. No problem with that. Just rinse off with a squirt (if you don't have a squirt bottle they are really handy for use with pH electrodes) of deionized water.

Back