getting wort to pitching temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty3777

Reaction score
Because I have small children I have to find ways to brew with some flexibility. on my last several brews I have transferred the wort to my ale pail and added water - then I just cover the pail and leave it set for several hours while I attend to the family. By the time I come back to the beer the wort is pitching temp and I simply take my measurements and pitch my yeast. Are there any problems pitching the yeast so long after the boil?

There is no problem with waiting several hours before pitching your yeast into the wort, as long as your sanitation is good. I've let wort sit around for a few days before pitching yeast and it was just fine. The important things are good sanitation and sealing the wort well.

-Steve

My water is too warm in the summer for my IC to bring the wort to pitching temps. I try to get it in the 90*F range. I then transfer to a sanitized bucket and stick in the fermentation fridge overnight and pitch in the morning.

Latest posts

Back