stopping fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkTrucker

Reaction score
I was wondering what you can do to mead to stop fermentation. I dont want my mead to get too dry.

can you post your recipe and choice of yeast? If you used enough honey with the right yeast, the FG might still be high enough for be sweet.

You can filter it or you can pasteurize it. Most other methods are going to be frustrating as the yeast will keep coming back from the dead.

Honestly, if you want a sweet mead, you need to use ether a low attenuation yeast like sweet mead yeast from wyeast or white labs, or keep adding honey until the yeast just can't hack the alcohol level... which could be quite high depending on yeast choice.

bout 8 years ago I used to make mead with Edme Ale yeast. it has a pretty high attenuation for a beer yeast.
I believe that strain is now produced by Safbrew, as S-33. here's the link: http://www.fermentis.com/FO/EN/pdf/SafbrewS-33.pdf

doesn't help you now, but maybe the next batch.
I lost my old brew log, but I think I was doing just under 3lbs of honey per gallon, and getting a nice sweet mead, that wasn't cloyingly sweet.

Thank you homebrewer 99. My mead has been fermenting since last december and I thought it was finished fermenting so I racked it so it would clear a little more and the ***** started up again. The beginning gravity was at 1.100 now its at 1.010 or so. Id like it to be sweet but not too sweet. Just wondering, how far can you let it go before it begins to get dry?

Dryness begins below 1.007 I think, but it moslty depends on if you used a sweet mead yeast or a dry (as in flavor) mead yeast (champagne-style like Lalvin D-47).

Most of my meads go down to .996. ;)

I really should make a sweet one soon.

I think it was a champagne yeast. Ive got to go to the homebrew shop in a few days ill see if they have any potassium sorbate. If it gets too dry I will put some of that stuff in there and back sweeten with a little honey. thanks for your help.

Right. You can backsweeten it afterwards, but it will be still (uncarbonated).

I think you can still carbonate it in a corny since that's injection/absorbsion and not a natural carbonation in concert with the yeast.

Potasium Sorbate might work for you, but it has never worked for me. It just pauses for a while, then comes back from the dead and starts fermenting again. Even after multiple doses and racking.

I might just let it finish fermenting and see what happens. I plan on bottling it so I dont want any bottle bombs.

Potasium Sorbate will keep it from restarting fermentation but will not kill your yeast. It will restart when you least expect it. Let it finish then use the Potasium Sorbate to stablize and back sweeten to your taste.

How do you know when fermentation is done? Is that when you bottle? Sorry for the noob questions. I plan on making mead soon for the first time(from the wiki link) and don't want "bottle bombs".

No problem! First of all it's the clearing, second it's no bubbles what so ever, and third is stable Hydrometer readings for at least a week (I try a reading every other day for 2 weeks).

My meads always start clearing first but retain some suspended CO2 and have slow fermentations. Lots of tiny little bubbles that just seem to start getting less and less until none are present. I also rack once a month! I try not to use finings and haven't in quite some time.

The hydrometer reads should be level with no change. As long as your temps are constant and within the yeast range that should be your biggest indicator. If it is not clear and still has any bubbles I don't even worry about taking hydrometer readings. Even if it has been a few months, the aging in bulk helps. Mead loves time and is well worth the wait!

mgayer said:
No problem! First of all it's the clearing, second it's no bubbles what so ever, and third is stable Hydrometer readings for at least a week (I try a reading every other day for 2 weeks).

My meads always start clearing first but retain some suspended CO2 and have slow fermentations. Lots of tiny little bubbles that just seem to start getting less and less until none are present. I also rack once a month! I try not to use finings and haven't in quite some time.

The hydrometer reads should be level with no change. As long as your temps are constant and within the yeast range that should be your biggest indicator. If it is not clear and still has any bubbles I don't even worry about taking hydrometer readings. Even if it has been a few months, the aging in bulk helps. Mead loves time and is well worth the wait!
Thanks for the response its all very helpful. When I make beer I RDWHAHB hopefully I can do the same with mead!:)

The other option you have for stoping your yeast is filtering.. if you run your mead thru a sterile filter it will just remove all your yeast from the mead...

Granted you are talking about a few hundered dollars in equipment to do it.. but it works.. and you never mentioned if you were a millionaire or not

SpamDog

SpamDog said:
The other option you have for stoping your yeast is filtering.. if you run your mead thru a sterile filter it will just remove all your yeast from the mead...

Granted you are talking about a few hundered dollars in equipment to do it.. but it works.. and you never mentioned if you were a millionaire or not

SpamDog
I was once but I lost it all in a high stakes game of marbles. Now I live in a van down by the river with just enough room for me and my fermenters.

Back