belgium witbier vs german ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluteguy53

Reaction score
Hey all,

I want to brew up a batch of Carmel Cream Ale this weekend and the recipe I have calls for a German Ale yeast, but all I have left currently is a Belgium Witbier Yeast. I have to order all of my supplies from the internet so I wonder what effect this different yeast might have on the brew. I know I should have prepared better, but just had the hankering.

In Beer We Trust!

Cheers

fluteguy53 said:
Hey all,

I want to brew up a batch of Carmel Cream Ale this weekend and the recipe I have calls for a German Ale yeast, but all I have left currently is a Belgium Witbier Yeast. I have to order all of my supplies from the internet so I wonder what effect this different yeast might have on the brew. I know I should have prepared better, but just had the hankering.

In Beer We Trust!

Cheers

I've often pondered that same yeast selection. Let me know how it turns out. I bet it'll be great.

Thanks Cheesefood, it seemed to me to be a decent variation on your fine recipe...I will let you know

I did a Wit Bier using hefeweizen yeast last weekend. So far, so good. We'll bottle in about 4 or 5 days, a taste at that time. I'm gonna keep track of this thread, I'm curious also.

A Wit yeast will give you alot of fruity yeast character similar to a Belgian trappist or abbey ale. I had some that I used to make a Dubble like recipe and it was very close in flavor to the Dubble I made with Trappist yeast.
This is not a clean flavored yeast and you Cream Ale will taste more like a Duvel than a Genny.
Craig

Our Wit turned out nicely. I'm not sure how true to style it is, as the only beer we've had purporting to be a Wit is Sweetwater's Hummer. Ours has a delicate but full mouth feel, with all the citrus and coriander notes there, but subdued. The honey is a nice touch. Dry finish. We're keeping this one to ourselves.

Back