What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got around to ordering a STC-1000 temp controller for my extra freezer. Lagers here I come!

Cleaned out some kegs last night, made a batch of apfelwein, and kegged an ipa. Took off my 4 way co2 manifold for carbing at room temp and set it back up for one gas out. Also cleaned up the table I store some of my brew gear on.

Brewing three pints of cold brew coffee to make split batches out of an English brown, an english porter, and my house porter

Kegged my Wild Card Ale..Took the FG of 1.012..Tasted awesome! In fridge hooked up to 12PSI CO2 for carbonating...

Shot In The Dark FG.jpg

I got lucky the other day, and bought five used corny kegs. The guy was selling 11 of 'em for 40 bucks a pop. So I grabbed 5, and left the others for someone else.

Brewed a 6 gal AG batch of Yooper's Oatmeal Stout w/ my daughter & brew buddy. It went very well. Done & cleaned up by 4 PM. Even had time to vote afterwards.

Brewed up my Gooder than Guinness clone brew..Things went well..Made one addition, added 1oz of Cascade hops @30 minutes in the 2nd boil..Had a small boil over going into the 2nd boil, not nearly as bad as when I first used my propane burner...I will get the hang of it , eventually..LOL..Took my OG and got 1.048..At least that is what I THINK it reads.BTW, sample tasted wonderful! Tucked away in my fermentation 'closet' so the yeast can do its magic! :D

Gooder Than Guinness OG.jpg

Went and exchanged the 5lb tank for another - love having an air gas distribution facility nearby - don't have to give up my Aluminum tank!

Put my stout and APA on gas from the 20lb tank in the garage, hope to be drinking them by the weekend - even if it is with a picnic tap.

Saw my Perlick 650SS shipped, waiting on notice from Chi Company that my ball lock adapter ships.

washed my right arm, sanitized it and reached into my brew bucket to tighten the B nut to stop the spigot from leaking during high kreuzen.

I stared at a bunch of nitro tap parts and pieces on my workbench for 45 seconds until my 5 year old came out screaming. Might get around to installing everything in 2029.

Found a co2 leak today. It definitely wasn't leaking last night when I hooked up the new aluminum tank. Glad I found the leak before I blew through the tank. Swapped keg lids and hoping that the problem is resolved (after I checked with Starsan).

Set up my new to me keezer tonight and filled it full of bottled homebrew until I can brew and get some full kegs in there. Shuffled around the garage/man cave, just need to get a tv in here and will be spending most of my time not working in here.

Added sugar to my fermentor that got left out of the boil of my last recipe, took a gravity sample of the beer brewed before that one, and I'm about to bottle it in a few.

:D

Sampled a small bottle of my Bellringer IPA that I had burst carbed using a CarbaCap. Pretty good over all but still very green. Wonderful aroma and flavors but lot's of sharp edges.

Woof, glad to see that the Stone mixed 12 is just as much on the left coast. I thought we were getting taken for a ride!

Let's see....

Put ball-lock fittings on the last 3 of my 3 gallon kegs, starsan'd them, and pressurized them. Now I have 10x3 gallon kegs and 5x5 gallon kegs in great shape!

Set up 2 identical brews for tomorrow that will be pitched with different yeasts. Opened my last homer bucket of Pilsner Malt in doing so, so its going to be time to back down on the Belgian's soon. All I have to do is hit to go button on the Picobrew first thing in the AM to get the first one started.

Boiled some Pilsen DME for a 1.020 starter - added a bit to wake the WLP 530 back up that I put in the fridge earlier this week, and the other two went to try and start some Conan (that is over a year old) and Ommegang yeast (that there isn't much of) - we'll see how those do.

I hooked up the twenty lb bottle of co-2 and went to a brew pubs tasting room for research of course. that said Nitro sure does smooth a beer and I don't care for a citra smash, I won't be buying any citra soon unless for a buttering charge.

Checked my Patersbier of 12 Consecutive Miracles. I call it that because I had mash pH problems, temp control problems, a stinky starter, too much volume in the fermenter, blah, blah, blah. Measured gravity and tasted it last night. Everything is fine - full attenuation and great flavor.

Then I gave the old boil kettle a deep clean with a PBW soak and elbow grease, then I disassembled the ball valve for a separate soak and gave the sight glass and dip tube some extra TLC. Lotsa gunk in there, but it's shiny and pretty like new.

Installed nitro faucet and CO2 distributor block. Cleaned keezer. Ordered more $hit from NB - some gas line and grains for an ESB. Also ordered so Centennial Rhizomes, 1968 London yeast, and some additional drip irrigation supplies for the raised beds. Might have also crushed several beers as time allowed. Now back to work... "GD what a bummer."

Tested the carbonation on my Milk Choc Stout. It's only my 2nd kegged beer and I am in real trouble now. It is fully carbed and tastes awesome. I signed up to donate 5 gallons but I have no idea how it is going to make it until St Patty's weekend...

I didn't put a dent in my pipeline

Neither did I..drinking a couple of awesome brews I picked up on my trip out to California(Los Angeles).Absolution Brewing Company tonight...Trying to decide what to try tomorrow...El Segundo, Strand, Monkish, Smog City?? Decisions, decisions...LOL

Drilled out a Firestone Challenger keg gas in dip tube fitting (5/8") to allow a "regular" dip lube and o-ring. I pressurized it to ensure it will hold overnight. (fingers crossed)

Brewed a DIPA for my sister's golden birthday. Used a ton of Simcoe, Columbus, and Centennial. Efficiency wasn't so great, but it will still be about 7-8% when it's all finished.

Kegged my Better Red than Dead Irish Ale and put it in the lager chamber for a cold crash. I'll fine with gelatin after a cpl days in the cold. Cpl days after than I'll get it in the kegerator and put it on gas so I can serve it on St Pat's.

Back