Help! 2nd Batch Infected!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbuttar

Reaction score
*warning, EXTREMELY long post ahead*
Hello

I am new to brewing and to this forum, and recently finished my second batch, a Honey Basil Ale (http://www.tastybrew.com/newrcp/detail/507) – an extract with steeped grains. My first batch, a very simple extract pale ale went very smoothly (no off flavors). I am fairly certain however that this batch has some sort of infection (sorry, don't have any pics)

First noticed it in my secondary just before bottling – an almost invisible thin film. Smelled and tasted great so I racked from under it anyway and bottled it – most of the film stuck to the sides of the glass carboy I was racking out of. I came very close to my calculated OG and FG. After about a few days in bottles, the film reappeared (translucent frosty film, around neck of ALL bottles about ¼” up past the liquid) – opened one, slightly carbonated, with a mild sour taste. Approx 2.5 weeks, the film is gone on some bottles (I don’t know if it dropped out or got washed out when I moved my boxes of bottles while rearranging), although the sour taste had gotten MUCH more distinct (barely drinkable). Not vinegary, more of an overpowering acidic sour taste.

I followed the recipe exactly, and fermented 2 weeks my primary (plastic ale pale) and 2 weeks in my secondary (glass carboy) before bottling, with tap water filled airlocks in place. All my equipment is new except my fermenters (from a friend, both in excellent shape, no serious scratches on the plastic). I did a partial boil which I topped off in the primary, all water store bought spring water. I cooled the hot water quickly in an ice bath (15 mins or so), and pitched the vile without a starter (about 75 degrees) and had fairly vigorous fermentation quickly

I’m not tossing the bad beer yet, I plan on sitting on it for a while to see how bad it gets. I’m posting because I’m worried that I may have a problem other than basic sanitation, because I think I go way overboard already.

I've been using regular dish soap and iodophor, making a fresh 5 gallon batch or so each time and completely submerging/filling all equipment. My grains were milled at my LHBS, and I do not siphon by mouth (primed it with iodophor).

There were only a few things that concerned me with regards to possible infection sources. The turkey baster and strainer I used for sampling/straining wort were previously used in the kitchen for their respective originally intended purposes, although I cleaned and sanitized both before use. I also noticed condensation on my kitchen fume hood during the boil dripping back into my wort, although I would think that any nasties that might have been picked up would be killed upon falling back into the boil.

My plan:
-replacing all cheap plastics
-no secondary going forward (just glass primary)
-switching to oxiclean and starsan
-bleach bombing (bleach-water-vinegar carefully following mixing instructions) everything that I’m not throwing away
-purchasing a wine thief and autosiphon (versus used turkey baster and racking cane)
-using a grain bag and funnel to filter instead of spaghetti strainer
-filling airlocks with starsan going forward
-getting desk fan to help ventilate my stove area

Do you guys think that I may have an issue other than basic sanitation? With how thorough I think I’ve been, I’m just afraid of buying all new plastics just to infect them again with a new bad batch. Should I be worried about a house bug/airborne contamination? I’m fairly certain that I was as careful as I could be regarding contact contamination. Any suggestions for additions to my action plan would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for helping out a nervous noobie, sorry about the seemingly endless post

-Gus

Back