A few Saison questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppheadIPA

Reaction score
I'm brewing a saison tommorrow. Just got done making my yeast starter but I have a few questions before I brew.

How fine do I crush the paradise seeds?

Should I pich at a low temp and let it creep up to around 80?

I'm doing extract, would it benefit doing a late addition?

How long should a saison bottle condition after carbonation is complete?

And finally, is a blow off tube neccesary with WLP568?

I'm kind of a traditionalist, so I'd leave out the spices entirely. But that's up to personal preference.

Pitching as low as you usually would and then letting the temp creep up naturally to the low 80's is great.

Late extract additions are always good, so long as you take that into account when planning your hop additions.

Not sure if this needs extra time to condition. That would depend, at least partially, on the gravity, I think.

blow off tube is always a good idea to have handy... i'm not sure about that particular yeast strain though.

Although the Saison will be good a few weeks after bottling, I would highly recommend keeping them for a while before breaking them open. Brewed a batch back in February and it is 10 times better now than it was back then. I can't say that for all of my beers, but time has made a good difference in this Saison.

You can crack or leave the Grains of Paradise whole. Either way is fine. If you crack them, don't grind them down to a powder. They are a very potent little herb. I personally left mine whole and added them in the last few minutes of the boil. The character is there, but not easily identified.

Latest posts

Back